CT scan report says my Lap Band tube is ruptured??

deabea
on 3/12/15 1:15 pm - Linden, TX

My surgery was initially a good (2010) but after losing some weight, 55 lbs total in 6 months, and then leveling off, well basically my Dr's attitude was rude, rushed and off-putting, so I quit going. Dumb, I know but he is the only one in our area.. Anyway! Ive gained 40 lbs back especially in the last year: bad habits, pain, no exercise, depression, etc.. these are the other issues that lead to a CT Scan. In the report it is stated the "Lap Band catheter tube has split" and they recommend I return to my original Dr in case of 'warranty issues'. If this is the case, Question one:Has anyone who needed repair/ revision, EVER been given a warranty or reduced price replacement? Also, If I can find another Dr to maybe have better success, will my insurance require that I use the original DR? I'm sure he will make me feel that I did something wrong to cause this, though I can't see how, I really don't want to mess with him. I could tell that something had changed and was so discouraged. Now I have some hope that maybe I have a chance to redo this and go farther! I just assumed that I failed! I would appreciate any input from y'all.. What should I do first?

Kate -True Brit
on 3/12/15 8:37 pm, edited 3/12/15 8:39 pm - UK

I can't help as I have no exoerience of your US systems. But the tubing "rupturing" does sound as if it might have been faulty.  I had a leak at around 4 years out but it was caused (probably) by excess tubing (my internal fat was almost gone) rubbing against harder muscle. 

Edited to add: it is not possible to blame you for this! Ruptured tubing cannot be the patient's fault. 

My best wishes. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

deabea
on 3/13/15 12:07 am - Linden, TX

Thank you for your input, I really need to make a decision about going back to the same doctor or finding a new one, it's up to me!

bandedbrittany1985
on 3/13/15 11:56 am - hermitage, TN

I had the same issue back in July of 2014. Got it replaced, (by the same doctor) but have since experienced pain and a bloaty feeling. I also gained most of my weight back due to the tubing issue. Went for test today to see why I am in pain, but am using a different doctor ( as mine retired) The new doc is nice and all but I feel like he doesn't know what he's doing. Thinking of switching to a different doctor in the same office, ( this is the same office my original doctor retired from). I was never given a warrenty and when my tubing was replaced, the insurance covered it and I had no out of pocket expenses.Hope this helped.

Brittany

annie0039
on 3/14/15 10:28 am, edited 3/14/15 10:29 am

When they did the CT scan did they establish the tubing was split by viewing the Saline flowing into the abdominal cavity?

If your Dr. is Rude FIND a NEW ONE, He works for you!! 

As far as I'm aware NO the lap band does come with Warranties. Tubing leakage, breakage  is just a known complication of having a band per the manufacturer. You can have Surgery to replace the tubing but I wouldn't count on it being anymore successful than the original.

Lap Band Revisions are as high as 60 %, this to me speak volumes about the Band being Inferior when comparing to other forms of Weight loss surgeries.

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/lap-band-side-effects-additional-surgery-17088/  

If your insurance will cover another weight loss surgery you'd be better served by RESEARCHING the other forms and deciding what is best for you and just removing the band and then revising.

I would suggest you call this Surgeon in Plano, Tx if that doesn't work I know of others in and around Dallas as well.

Stephan V. Hamm M.D. 
6020 West Parker Road Ste 430, Plano, TX 75093

Phone:(214) 501-1333   

Good Luck

Most Active