Leak ? or is Dr not hitting the port right ?

tn7393
on 4/4/15 10:43 am

The dr that has been doing my fills never knows on the next appointment what he put in, which concerns me. Now is saying that I may have a leak because the saline was not there. He put 4cc's in and I went back in two weeks and he said that there was hardly any there but he couldn't remember if he put two in there or 4cc.

I called another local dr at a large well known hospital and he said it could be he isn't using the right needle or hitting the port right - my concern is that I went from being restricted to nothing over night.

As I am thinking back - I remember before I thought I felt my port move. Has anyone ever experienced this ?

Hislady
on 4/4/15 11:02 am - Vancouver, WA

I would find another doctor he is that lax in keeping track of what he is putting in. My doc noted it in his written notes on my visit plus he pulls it all out before putting more in so he knows what is in there now and then adds what ever amount we've decided to add. This guy sounds like a flake.

I would ask a new doc for a fluoroscope so he can see if there is a leak that should show if there is one and where the leak is at. If there is a leak they will have to go in and replace or repair the tubing.

Kate -True Brit
on 4/4/15 6:24 pm, edited 4/4/15 6:25 pm - UK

My doc withdrew all saline to check before replacing and adding to it, and made careful notes every time!!! 

To check for a leak, they need to inject dye into the port and look under XRay. I went from good to nothing overnight about 5 years ago and it was a leak in the tubing midway between the band and the port. My doc thought it was probably because I had lost my internal fat and so there was excess tubing which had rubbed against newly exposed muscle. I had a quick op to cut out the damaged bit and reconnect the two ends.

Most leaks, however, seem to be from the port area.

i have never felt my port move. 

Edited for typos.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Maronita
on 4/7/15 3:03 pm

I agree with HisLady!  It is time to get a new doctor.  It is irresponsible of the doctor not to record what he has done in your medicals.  If you really like this doctor then at minimum when you see him do NOT leave the office/exam room until he notes it in your record.  Insist upon it being done before you leave.

Most Active