Pain and more issues since told my tube was ruptured

deabea
on 4/2/15 6:36 pm, edited 4/2/15 6:38 pm - Linden, TX

So... Several months of sharp ab and pelvic pain led to tests and imaging making me feel crazy for chasing phantom pain! One issue discovered was a "Ruptured catheter" on my Lap-Band; I went to my original surgeon to check on it, though still very stressed over the pain affecting my home and work life. My Dr said "its your tubing" without a doubt in her mind, still I provided her with the CT scan and x-ray because the next step was exploratory surgery.

So the low down basically is this: my connection has worn loose and then over time, it has wiggled its way down into my pelvis and is poking my intestines??!! over 2 weeks I have gone from ache to sharp pains with any exertion, put on light duty at work (causing big issues) and can't get comfortable or sleep. My Dr called it a known design flaw with the tubing -and gravity causes the plug end to fall and that is why I'm in pain. Now, this year, the manufacturer has redesigned the connection and she plans to go back in , install the new design and 'get me back on track to loosing weight".

I'm really wondering about warranty now. I'm thinking: why should I or my insurance have to pay for this if it is so common?

Do I want the Lap Band reinstalled or do I want to try something else?

What if a new band and starting over causes some of those other side affects I've read about?

My original post was concern over warranty but now pain has come to the fore front and I don't have time to wait list with a new doctor and I'm stressed about the insurance approval, it took 4 months last time..HELP!

Kate -True Brit
on 4/3/15 1:24 am - UK

I haven't got anything helpful to say as I have no exoerience of any of this. Just sending my best wishes.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 4/3/15 12:14 pm, edited 4/5/15 9:52 am - Vancouver, WA

My advise if it is floating around poking your intestines you need it out now before it ruptures your intestine!! I've never heard of warranty covering replacement or repair of the band. I can say that from my time here over 8 yrs I've not seen any replacement bands working out. There are a few folks that have had replacements but they never seem to work as well as the original one and most folks end up having to revise to another surgery. Personally knowing what I know about the band I would revise to a different surgery since the lap band isn't very popular as WLS goes, very few surgeons do them anymore. No matter what you decide I would get that ticking time bomb out of you.

Most Active