9 years banded and....

Karen D.
on 7/9/15 10:11 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I still hate what I believe to be the "first bite syndrome"  I can't ever eat a hot meal.  I take one small bite and it sits in my throat forever.  I'm never sure if I should try again so my food goes cold.

Sorry...feeling the need to vent...I'm really hungry but I can't eat my lunch

Nic M
on 7/9/15 11:34 am

Have you had your esophageal motility checked? If this has been a chronic problem, maybe you should ask your doctor to make sure that your esophagus is properly working?  Have you ever tried drinking some hot beverage before eating? Some people say that helps to kind of open the passageway for food. 

I know that feeling of being hungry but unable to eat because you're scared you'll end up sliming for hours. I'm sorry you're experiencing it. 

Hopefully others will have some words of advice for you. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Karen D.
on 7/9/15 4:46 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Yes, my doc has done 2 or 3 barium swallow tests with me and all shows normal.  I always drink something hot when I'm out in public, but it doesn't help everytime.  I really just get tired of that feeling and the sliming that goes with it.  I've been thinking about taking the band out, but have to see if my insurance will cover.  

Hislady
on 7/9/15 5:40 pm - Vancouver, WA

Actually the motility test is different from the barium swallow and mine showed I have a bit of impaired motility and none of my barium swallows showed anything. It can also show if you have developed Barretts esophagus that may cause the band to have to be removed. I'll be honest with you the motility test isn't fun but it sure does tell the GI doc alot, much more info than the barium swallow does. Other than the hot drin k I don't know anything to help the swallowing. I just have to be really careful to swallow slow and make sure I'm done chewing well before even trying to swallow. It sucks and my band has been gone for over a year!

Karen D.
on 7/10/15 2:58 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I would not like to have the band gone and not be able to swallow!  It must be hard for you to cope with it.  I see my doc on 8/20 and have been keeping a journal of times when I have trouble.  My throat gets tight with so many things, stress, if I do a lot of talking, lack of water, you name it!  Then...other times it's like the gates are wide open.  You'd think I'd learn how it's going to be after all this time.  

Hislady
on 7/10/15 10:48 am, edited 7/11/15 11:32 am - Vancouver, WA

That's not something you can learn because with the band it is going to be different every time! Yes it is a bit of a challenge to live with because I have to make sure I'm paying attention when I swallow or I'll choke really easy and that's NOT fun! That is one reason I stay here, even if lots of folks don't want to hear it, is so I can warn people before they get as bad as I am! I truly don't want anyone else to live the rest of their life being uncomfortable with every bite they eat or sip because it isn't a fun way to live. I really hope your insurance will let you revise to a sleeve I think you would do really well with it. I don't know if you remember Tonnabug she was here around the same time you started I think and she had so much trouble with her band she couldn't lose no matter what she did. Well she revised to a sleeve and she has lost almost all of her weight last I saw of her and looked amazing. I want that for you too or even the bypass if there is too much acid issues. Sleeves aren't good for GERD issues but I just want to see you get success and be able to enjoy life and your surgery. Best wishes to you hon!

Karen D.
on 7/10/15 8:17 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I do remember Tonnabug!  That is wonderful that she has done well with the sleeve.  I feel like I have done all I can and work so hard and get nowhere.  I am exercising my ass off every day, measure my food and am careful about what I put in my mouth.  I will have a talk with him and see what he thinks.  Thanks!

Hislady
on 7/11/15 6:37 pm - Vancouver, WA

With the band it seems you get to a point where no matter what you do nothing happens and it stays that way. I did that for a couple of years and that's when I started looking at the sleeve myself. If I could revise I know the sleeve is what I would go for or the DS they would be my first choices.

solidcad
on 7/12/15 3:21 pm

In your case its good to get a sleeve. Do you know DS is very complicated.

My cousin had a conversion of band to a sleeve. There was no reason to remove the band, the problem she was flat on the wt loss curve, but she was not working with the band. She was grazing and drinking milkshakes.  The nutritionist mentioned to her that if she does not change her lifestyle, even the sleeve or bypass will not help. Well she got the sleeve and she has terrible leak which has cost her a lot $$ and also bad health. I did all the research on the procedures and asked 7 opinions from accross the country. The DS procedure is very difficult and if complicated, you are out of options!!

GOOD LUCK!

Zee Starrlite
on 7/10/15 11:40 am

God, you've had problems with your esophagus for at least 5 years.  It amazes me that your doc even began to fill your band.  The same issues, no different for you.  Your esophagus is not working with that band on it.  Unfill completely and get removed if you can.  Soon you will not be able to revise.  Sorry if I seem harsh but this has gone on so many years with you.  The band does not work for you.  Face it before you destroy your espohagus completely.

Nothing but love - sorry it is tough.

All best to you Karen! 

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active