Band is coming out and revising

Hislady
on 11/1/15 8:43 pm - Vancouver, WA

Hi there Kazzy I remember you too, I'm a different Karen but I'll throw in what I know about the situation. As far as whether they can do it all in one surgery, it is possible but is basically up to the surgeon. They are finding however that it seems to work better to do it in 2 surgeries so that the stomach can heal from the removal and then do the revision after all the swelling goes down.

However as long as the band hasn't done too much damage it is possible to go ahead and do it all in one surgery. So basically you have to find a surgeon who is willing to do it all in one surgery. Just be prepared that it may make recovery a little longer and rougher.

Even if you can't get a revision i would suggest getting it out. I had mine as put in in 2007 also and I have horrible problems from it I have heartburn something horrible and I have gastroparesis or slow stomach digestion which is terribly painful and requires me to eat very small meals all day long and causes a great deal of gas and stomach pain. So to avoid future problems I would really advise you are anyone who has had their band more than a couple of years to get it out ASAP. Best of luck to you!!

Kazzy2
on 11/3/15 6:56 pm

Hi there Hislady,

I am sorry to hear you had so many complications with your band, did you get a revision too or just band removed?

I am not having any complications medically - just the fact that I cannot find that sweet spot in the green zone, I am either too loose or too tight, so go from eating like a normal sized meal to throwing up every meal - even with the slightest adjustment.... Fill, Unfill, Fill, Unfill at $60 per shot.... with no sustainable weight loss inbetween...

I think it may be ok to have in one surgery as not in pain/no heart burn etc but risk is when they get in and find needs 2 operations, equals extra expense (self pay)....

Just in 2 minds - but I am bigger now than before the band by about 4kg.... :0(

Karen D.
on 11/9/15 3:13 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Hi!  The plan for me is to have the surgery in 1 shot.  I made the mistake of watching a video of band removal, which is actually really simple.  The doc had it out in like 6/7 mins.  But you can see the weakness of the stomach wall underneath and he said this is from 2 years banded.  Imagine what 10 years looks like, not good.  That made me cringe because I'm going on 10 years!

I hope this solves my issues.  I hate having days where I throw everything up.  Saturday was like that for me.  Coffee went down hard.  Starting liquids tomorrow!  I'm hoping for the best but I am scared.

I'll post after it's done to let you know how I'm doing.

Take care!

Kazzy2
on 11/10/15 12:01 am

All the very best Karen - look forward to hearing how it all goes! Are you starting your full liquid pre-op now?  What do you have - shakes?

I went to my fill nurse yesterday - still trying to get in the green zone - at least she found the port this time!  So had .1ml put in... And so it goes on.  Also has a weigh in and officially 5kg more than lapband start weight... 

Interestingly I asked about revision options and she advised that a good portion of their lapband patients have all revised after not good or lasting results.... I felt slightly better hearing that to be honest.... Food for thought!  So I have all the info here for revision, and are trying one last month to get on top of the band and my eating before making a decision.  Self pay and such a big decision, feel like have wasted the money from lapband and should have gone straight to Bypass....  I now have 30 - 35kg to get to healthy - but that would be the top end of my range.... 

Keep posting!

Karen D.
on 11/10/15 2:28 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Yes, today is day 1 of the 2 week pre-op.  I am allowed Atkins shakes, 5 or 6 a day plus non starchy vegetables.  I made a large pot of vegetable soup on sunday so I'll have something to chew on.  It isn't going to be easy, liquids just don't fill me up but it's got to be done!

Good luck to you I hope the fill works.

Kazzy2
on 12/5/15 10:11 pm

Hi Karen

Just checking in on how your revision surgery went and hoping you are recovering well

I am back to fills for my band and getting some restriction now in the green zone yahoo I forgot what that was like

Karen

Karen D.
on 12/9/15 12:02 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Hi!  thanks for checking in.  I am doing good.  Had the removal and revision done in 1 surgery.  I had a lot of nausea.  That drove me crazy more than anything.  I have started puréed foods and for once I am not choking my food down.  It is such a relief.  

Cant wait to see how this works for me.

Kazzy2
on 12/9/15 6:34 pm

Hi Karen,

That is fabulous that surgery went well and all in one operation too.  Sorry to hear about the nausea, must be nice to be progressing through the food stages now.  What a relief sounds like you had a terrible time with your band!  Be nice to feel "normal" again! And for the weight to start dropping off - so exciting!

I will be watching your progress too, I am at the mo having a few band fills to try to get in the green zone again, not quite there but have had fleeting moments of it after the fill when a little inflamed (?) and then it is disapperaring when it settles, so still not quite there but at least I remember now what it feels like to not be craving carbs and sugar - 2.5kg down so far (about 5.5lbs?)  In the past 2 -3 weeks, not huge numbers but going in the right direction at last!

Take care and keep posting x

Karen - NZ

Most Active