Removal recovery time

gggggail
on 2/9/16 9:30 pm

I don't know if there will be anyone on this forum to answer this question, but I'm going to try.  I had the lapband put in in Jan 2008.  I didn't do well with it (couldn't follow the 'rules' for whatever reason), had the band emptied about 2 years later and have just lived with it because I didn't want to have another surgery.  This year I started having pain and found out I had an ulcer/gastritis.  I still didn't want to have the band removed.  There is no slippage, no erosion per the endoscopy.  I finally decided to let it be removed and it's scheduled for Feb 24.  Does anyone know how long recovery is?  I have a call into the nurse to get a guestimate, but thought I would check here in the meantime.  Thanks in advance.

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/16 7:33 am - CA

Recovery time should be about the same as when you had it placed, as long as it is performed the same way.  It really is unique to each individual and how they handle surgery and how fast they bounce back.  I had RNY in 2001, open.  Recovered in a month and back to work.  I had a lap hernia repair in 2004, took me almost two months to get back to work.  

Hope you have a speedy recovery! 

Nik

gggggail
on 2/14/16 7:35 am

Thank you, this is helpful!

Hislady
on 2/10/16 4:26 pm - Vancouver, WA

Mine was about the same as when it was put in, just rested a lot the first couple of weeks and then eased back into regular life. I think there was a weight limit on how much I could pick up for the first month if I remember right. Otherwise just back to normal as tolerated and the same with food.

gggggail
on 2/14/16 7:34 am

Thank you, this is helpful!

Nic M
on 2/13/16 12:23 pm

If you've developed ulcers and gastritis, you're doing the right thing in having the band removed. I'm sorry you're going through it, though. 

I also developed ulcers and gastritis while banded in 2003. Had the band removed in 2005. Still have gastritis and ulcers, even after taking medications and revamping my diet completely. The band's presence will make these complications worse. Hopefully you'll have it removed early enough to not have permanent damage. 

After band removal, I think it took about 2 weeks before I really felt decent. The anesthesia causes a lot of people to experience constipation, so make sure you've got some stool softeners in case you need them. 

Good luck to you. I hope all goes well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

gggggail
on 2/14/16 7:34 am

Thank you.  I think there are options to help with the ulcer/gastritis issues (acupuncture, herbs, etc).  For me getting the band out was the first step.  I resisted it for years.  Even after the ulcer I resisted.  Finally came around.  :)

Nic M
on 2/14/16 9:54 am

Oh, I understand! I did the same, even as the band was killing me. I get what you're saying. It's such a hard thing to go through. 

I agree... acupuncture does amazing things. I am sure it will help a lot.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

sheriberi29
on 2/14/16 7:16 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm in the exact same boat and waiting on approval to remove and replace with sleeve ... Are you considering revision or just removal ? 

gggggail
on 2/14/16 7:32 am

Just removal.  For me, the WLS route was a mistake.  Not a mistake for everyone, but it was for me.

Most Active