Eight Years banded

Snickerdoodle2016
on 2/29/16 2:12 pm

I was banded eight years ago. Recently over the last few months I have noticed, tightness, spasms, the feeling of heat at the chest area where the band is. I also get left arm pain. It comes and goes and sometimes antacids cover it up for a while and then it comes back. It is not triggered by food or exercise. I have no restriction and I am filled at 6cc.

Nic M
on 2/29/16 3:38 pm
On February 29, 2016 at 10:12 PM Pacific Time, Snickerdoodle2016 wrote:

I was banded eight years ago. Recently over the last few months I have noticed, tightness, spasms, the feeling of heat at the chest area where the band is. I also get left arm pain. It comes and goes and sometimes antacids cover it up for a while and then it comes back. It is not triggered by food or exercise. I have no restriction and I am filled at 6cc.

Hi Snickerdoodle,

It's most likely due to scar tissue that has built up, causing the Vagus nerves to react. Have you been checked for ulcers, hiatal hernia or gastritis? Those might also cause the symptoms you're experiencing. 

I hate to tell you this, but the longer you suffer with the referred left shoulder pain, the more likely it is to become permanent. I had severe left shoulder pain every day while banded, but was told that it was "just gas." I had the band removed about a decade ago and still have bouts of referred left shoulder pain from the damage the band did to my diaphragm and Vagus nerves. Don't just ignore it in the hopes it will get better. 

Best of luck to you. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Snickerdoodle2016
on 2/29/16 5:30 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. This band has not been working for a long time. It's not gas, it goes from my shoulder to my finger tips and sometimes I think I'm having a heart attack. What kind of test can they do to see the damage done. I don't think the normal drink and x-ray is going to show what I feel. I don't know if insurance will cover the problems I know have.

I really just want it out!

Nic M
on 3/1/16 8:32 am

I agree it's not gas. That post-surgical gas pain, in my opinion, is a lot less severe than true Vagus nerve referred pain. 

My docs said that no tests could be done to see the damage to the nerves. The diaphragm is shaped like a parachute and the nerves run from the base of the skull down through the diaphragm and into the stomach. The band's presence puts a lot of pressure on those nerves, especially after a few years when scar tissue builds up. I had left shoulder pain that ran up into my neck near my ear and down my arm toward the elbow. There was no nerve block or anything that can be done since the diaphragm is in constant motion when you're breathing. If you have a hiatal hernia, part of your stomach can protrude up through the opening in your esophagus, causing those nerves to go kind of bonkers, too. (And I personally get a lot of stomach acid and burning in my throat, as well.) 

Is your doctor documenting the complications you're experiencing? You might have to become a pain in the butt in order to have insurance cover removal. But it helps if your doctor says, "This band is causing physical problems for this patient and it needs to be removed." Hopefully your doctor is on your side in this? Make sure you're adamant... "I want this band out." Say it often. Complain every time you have pain. It needs to be documented, otherwise they'll tend to forget about you. 

Wishing you the best of luck. I hope you can get the band out and feel better soon. 

Snickerdoodle2016
on 3/1/16 9:03 am

Thank you, so much you are so kind and helpful. Nice to have someone to talk too about this and that understands. Every morning I get up, take my chewable vitamin and it hurts when it goes down, than I have tight feeling with pain and hard to breath for about an hour or so. Then it comes and goes. Yes, my doctor knows what is going on and I see him again tomorrow. I have even had pneumonia because of the band.

It's so hard when you don't know what is going on inside of you. I don't get stuck, I can sleep flat and I gain weight.

I asked my husband, "Why did you let me get this thing in me"? He just looked at me and said "there was no stopping you". LOL

By reading this forum, it seem like the band was great 5/6 years ago and then it went downhill. I lost 60 lbs and have 40 back on.

Nic M
on 3/1/16 2:52 pm

I'm happy to help, if I can. It's a hard thing to deal with. I know no one could have talked me out of the band, either. I hear you! 

I was going to inform you about our Failed Bands group, but I see you already found it. I just added you. There's some info that might be of help to you... or at least, you'll see that you're certainly not alone with your complications. There are a number of groups on facebook, as well. Back when I had my band removed, I think it was easier. I didn't have to jump through any hoops to get insurance to cover removal. Hopefully there's someone who can advise you about this because I'm sure it's a little different now. 

Hope your appointment goes well and you get some plan of action. 

Karen D.
on 3/1/16 10:08 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Good luck!  I hope your doctor can help.  I had been telling my doc about my issues for several years.  He didn't ignore them, but after a vacation I took where I couldn't eat at all he decided to order an upper GI and while having the test done, what I've been complaining about, happened.  I couldn't have been happier to choke on barium!  I had the band removed and revised to the sleeve.  I feel so much better!

Keep us posted on what happens!

Snickerdoodle2016
on 3/1/16 10:27 am

Karen -

Thanks for the laugh! It's sad we have to choke on something, but we have to do what it takes to prove a point.

Did you have the same symptoms as me?

Karen D.
on 3/5/16 4:30 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I didn't have the same issues.  Mine were basically choking on everything I ate.  Yogurt and cottage cheese would give me issues.  Then it got to be more solids wouldn't go down.  It wa**** or miss.  Some days I could eat, some days I couldn't.  I would even gag on water!  I got to be pretty miserable.

So glad it's out!

Hislady
on 3/1/16 4:29 pm - Vancouver, WA

There are soooo many of us that have had serious problems from that blasted band, you are far from alone! I finally ended up having to pay to get mine removed. Fortunately I was already in the hospital for something else so I only had to pay for the surgery itself and the anesthesiologist, so all combined it was about $4500 and the surgeon let me put it on a credit card and the other I could make payments on. I was in so much pain from it tho I could barely stand to sit up. That was 2 yrs ago and I still have problems with my stomach and excess acid.

Most Active