Response on Midol

Lynn C
on 6/26/08 10:34 pm
Here is the response I received from Midor regarding their mystery antihistimine: From: [email protected] [Add to Address Book] To: [email protected] Subject: Response from Midol Date: Jun 27, 2008 8:25 AM
Dear Ms. Boutilier:
            Thank you for taking the time to contact Bayer HealthCare.  We appreciate your
            interest in MIDOL Pain Relief Formula.
            During the FDA ingredient review for the menstrual products monograph, a panel
            of medical experts evaluated some clinical data that indicated that pyrilamine
            maleate seems to be unique among other antihistamines in that it possesses
            certain pain relief and diuretic properties.  The ruling is not yet finalized
            and subsequent analyses of newer data are ongoing.
            On Midol PMS and Midol Maximum Strength Menstrual Drug Fact Labeling, the
            "purpose" of pyrilamine maleate is listed as a diuretic because it is
            intended
            to inform consumers of the particular benefit they could expect from this
            ingredient in this product. The labeling of this ingredient as a diuretic is
            within the current monograph.
            Antihistamines are safely used by humans used in a variety of products including
            cold formulas.  In cold products it relieves runny nose, sneezing and itchy,
            watery eyes.
            If I may be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
            Sincerely,
            Marie Jett
            Consumer Advisor

So in other words - they "think" it might do something, maybe, but cant prove it. I'll try Tylenol and coffee next time - save myself some cash!!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

foobear
on 6/27/08 5:17 am - Medford, MA
That's certainly a creative "stretch" on Bayer's part.  Pyrilamine was originally added as a sedative (this was years before Bayer bought the brand); there's nothing in the drug's pharmacology that would suggest that pyrilamine has any diuretic properties at all.  Even the "diuretics" often found in PMS nostrums, such as caffeine and pamabrom, are exceedingly weak and don't do much of anything for bloating.  Could pyrilamine have any analgesic properties?  Doubtful.  Since most sedative antihistamines have atropine-like drying activity, they might arguably have some anti-spasmodic activity, though it does not follow that such an ingredient is effective in treating menstrual cramps. By way of contrast, the NSAIDs ibuprofen and naproxen, ingredients in two other versions of Bayer's Midol, have specific activity against menstrual cramps, due to the fact that prostaglandins are involved in maintaining uterine tone, and NSAIDs block the formation of prostaglandins.  But NSAIDs aren't a good idea for post-op RNYers. All of these products were originally formulated in the 1950's when the FDA's powers were weak, and when drug manufacturers took a "kitchen sink" approach towards adding ingredients.  It's not enough to imagine that an ingredient "might" be effective for an indication and add it willy-nilly; it has to be demonstrated after the fact.  That hasn't happened with a lot of these menstrual nostrums. Thanks for following this up and posting what you received! /Steve
foobear
on 6/27/08 5:19 am - Medford, MA
Oh, I see we have the same surgeon!  Great guy, isn't he? /Steve
Lynn C
on 6/27/08 7:59 am
Yes, I'm a big fan of Dr. Jones. He is a great guy!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

stellalukin
on 7/1/08 11:17 am - Cambridge, MA
Wow- do you feel better?

Here's a thought- if it doesn't work for you, don't take it.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

Lynn C
on 7/3/08 5:29 am
Its people like you who may actually hurt medical progress - I had information to share and did - if you don't like it STFU and ignore the post! Feel Better?

Lynn C ~

stellalukin
on 7/4/08 10:46 am - Cambridge, MA
Excuse me. You had information to share that you got as a result of a man's argument- a man, who knows nothing about 1) the medical profession or 2) what it is like to be a woman and insists that he does.
You went on a witch hunt, got no new information and posted it here, and you have the nerve to tell me to "STFU" (classy!) and that I may hurt medical science?
Run along & go check out other conspiracy theories with your friend Foobear. I'll stick to what works.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

Lynn C
on 7/5/08 3:54 am
Phen-phen was a wonderful thing until it started killing people, right? So were the vaccines given to pregnant women in the 70's that produced crippled and brain damaged babies.  First I am not sure what you have against men - to each his own - but discounting pure fact because it was stated by a man is very small minded and prejudicial. Neither I nor Foobear ever said that Midol doesn't work (although I doubt he has taken it I have) what was stated is there are ingredients in it that don't do anything - why ingest stuff that 1 - is no longer on the market for general consumption (unless you are a horse) and 2 - has no purpose or can not do what it claims?? Why spend $7 a bottle for a cup of coffee and a couple of Tylenol?? And why does it bother you so much that Midol may be just as effective as Tylenol and not more? As far as conspiracy theories - you seem to be the one with you panties in a bunch because your "woman" drugs may just be a clever marketing ploy to deplete your pocketbook - hey you know what they say "More money than brains" - Enjoy (and I never claimed to be classy - just smart and willing to speak)

Lynn C ~

foobear
on 7/6/08 1:34 pm - Medford, MA
Who would have imagined that someone could be personally offended by a lukewarm recommendation of her favorite PMS nostrum?  I think that's carrying "identity politics" a bit far!  (Read: "I am not my Midol, and my Midol is not me.") "Midol" and "Pamprin" capsules are not hand-crafted by Amazons and lovingly formulated for their wimmin customers.  They're just brand names which were formulated in the mid-20th century (by men!), and which originally contained a mixture of ingredients, some of which may have helped, and others which were questionable.  Some of the newer Midol sub-brands are just repackaged OTC NSAIDs, which are defininitely helpful (but no more than the OTC NSAIDs themselves), but others, such as "Midol Menstrual Complete", still maintain the tradition of including somewhat dodgy drugs in the mix. Who could possibly argue against full disclosure, no matter who is providing it?  Everyone benefits.  Let everyone know what they're buying and then do what they want! /Steve
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 609 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2179 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4363 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4491 views