Can anyone recommend a surgeon in MA who specializes in bariatric surgery revisions?

Robin628
on 8/11/11 2:23 am - MA
I have an eroded Lap Band that needs to be removed.  My Lap Band surgeon has never removed an eroded band and/or performed a revision surgery on a previously banded patient so needless to say, I would like to find another surgeon experienced in this are!     Any recommendations for a doctor/practice in MA with this type of experience?  
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 2:46 am - North Brookfield, MA
So sorry you are having troubles.  I had my revision and my Intussesception surgery done by
Dr. David Lautz at Brigham and Women's Hospital.  He is the guy that other surgeons send their cases to when they can't help.  Good luck to you.  Lisa
Penny V.
on 8/12/11 2:34 am - Orleans, MA
Dr. Julie Kim at Tufts is awesome!

Down200Pounds
on 8/12/11 10:00 pm - MA
i am currently seeing john kelley at UMASS to have my ring removed as i cant eat at all. he is awesome!@
Ginny, Orange, MA
RNY with Silastic Ring: 7/3/03~Dr. Alan Newhoff, Phoenix, AZ
Total Weight Loss:  #200
[email protected]

MrsClaus09
on 8/14/11 1:39 am
Dr Daniel Jones @ BIDMC!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Valerieb09
on 8/15/11 9:15 am - Seacoast, NH
I recommend my surgeon, Dr. David B. Lautz at the Brigham & Women's.  He has had considerable experience doing lapband to RNY revisions...he did mine but of course he did my lapband too. 
He is one the top bariatric surgeons in New England and handles a lot of "difficult" cases that other surgeons wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.  He has excellent surgical skills and is very busy.
Good Luck!

Valerie

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

Robin628
on 8/23/11 12:11 am - MA
Thank you, ladies.  I'll definitely be contacting Dr. Lautz.   I plan to have revision to RNY once my stomach has healed from the eroded Lap band.  

I did meet with my original surgeon last week and though they have only had one other patient whose band eroded from their practice, they have seen others (placed by other surgeons) and removed them.  I guess they just don't advertise that part of the practice - removals, revisions, etc.    Made me a feel a little better to know this.   And although I am scheduled for removal surgery 9/26 with my original surgeon, I am still going to try to meet with Dr. Lautz.  
Valerieb09
on 8/23/11 11:41 am - Seacoast, NH
You will need to attend first their monthly info seminar...you can sign up online now for this.  Next after signing up for the seminar call his office and talk to his Admin Asst. Eileen Connelly to ask for the initial consult appt. At the same time ask to be put on her cancellation list so if anyone cancels you can get in sooner.
The wait is long to get in to see him but what most people doesn't realize is he gives you your surgery date right then and there along with scheduling any necessary preop tests.  Timewise it will probably work out good as it is my understanding you have to let the stomach heal for 6 mos. before having a revision.
He is an incredibly skilled surgeon...and has very good stats too!  I think you would be very happy with him as your surgeon.  I could have had both of my surgeries done here in NH as they have a local program but I wanted someone really skilled and top notch as I had a kidney out in 2003 for cancer which left me with tons of adhesions.
Anyway his office is 90 miles one way from my house and no I am not thrilled about driving in Boston but the Brigham is a really good hospital and he is a really good surgeon.  He has many patients from NH, Maine, Connecticut, New York , etc.  I met a lady from the other side of NH who drove 4 hours one way for him...long story there.
Good Luck!

Valerie

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

C J
on 8/23/11 7:03 am - Franklin, MA

I had my LapBand at Brigham back in 2007 - it slipped in 2008 and was removed that night.  Dr. Robinson was Fantastic thru every phase... until it came time to discuss a revision - he referred me to his colleague Dr. Lautz. As I left his office that day I got a call from Lautz's office to schedule my appointment.  It was July 2010, the woman said he was booking out to February 2011.  It didn't matter that I was already a patient within their group...  Needless to say I was quite disappointed because Lautz has a flawless reputation.  Their group of medical professionals is great too... it's just a timing thing - maybe it'll be better now?? I don't know but I do know that Dr. Lautz is in VERY high demand so if you can get in with him you're lucky!!!

When I got home I did some research and decided to switch facilities and work with Tufts.  The surgeons in that group have become well versed in revision surgeries seeing so many failed Lap-Bands they don't even promote them.  I also found the program at Tufts to be quite different than Brigham.   Tufts puts a lot of emphasis on  follow-up care.

So my referall is -- Tufts!  Check them out!!!

Super easy access if you use the MBTA, the Orange line is literally across the street

sontim77
on 9/15/11 9:55 am
nicole pacquex from st elizabeths in boston ma.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 623 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2193 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4381 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4506 views