Surgery is done!

bostonbabe369
on 12/2/13 11:12 pm - Stoughton, MA

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the well wishes and supportive comments. It really meant a lot to me. Well, I had my surgery on November 13. Honestly, I barely remember anything that happened that day. I was so scared and nervous. All I remember is going to the hospital, waiting to go into the OR. Once in the Or, my surgeon reassured me again that everything will be ok. We joked about my breast being exposed through my gown, and then I was out like a light. I have no recollection of being in recovery. When I was more alert and focused again, I realized I was in my room. A few hours later, the nurse woke me up for vitals and made me walk the hallway for a bit.

I felt sorry for my room mate. We both had the sleeve performed on the same day. She was very excited and acceptable about being sleeved. I will admit, I was acting like Debbie Downer. I felt regretful, sad and depressed. I kept wondering, "What have I done!". I think it was the after effects of the anesthesia. After the second day, I felt better mentally and physically. No bad pain, I was walking and ready to go home. I stayed in the hospital 3 days. Doing very well now. No regrets! My incisions are healing. I am having problems getting in my protein (At least 70 grams), I am doing well on my fluid intake.

The only really bad experience I had was this week. I was allowed to have some turkey and veggies for Thanksgiving dinner. That was the first solid food I had eaten since my surgery. Been eating more the last few days. A few spoonfuls and I am full. I was not paying attention to my bowel movements. I hadn't really had one since my surgery. Almost two weeks. I figured there's not much food in my stomach so I probably don't need to go. Wrong! Two days ago, I was in excruciating pain. I could not go to the bathroom. My bowels were impacted. I could barely walk or think.I felt faint and dizzy. I took some Miralax and prune juice. I told myself, if things don't stop moving in the next few hours I was going to the ER. Yes, it was that bad! I finally went to the bathroom.. It was unbearable and painful once my bowels passed. I was screaming. Two minutes later I felt relieved and I could function again. I hope this is not too much information. I am trying to be honest and truthful. Just pay attention to your body.

I am still on FMLA at work. I can't go back for at least 6 weeks because I do heavy lifting at times. I am down 20+ pounds. I don't know the exact number. I don't get on the scale. It is too discouraging for me. I know my clothes are hanging off me and I no longer have an extra chin. I am looking forward to exercising once my surgeon clears me. I feel wonderful. I accomplished so much in the last few months. I no longer smoke, drink or overindulge on food. The light has really gone off in my head. It took having sleep apnea, high blood pressure, degenerative disc and joint disease to force me to make lifestyle changes. I am still young and I am finally taking steps to turn my life around. Better late than never!

For some reason, I can't eat anything chocolate flavored right now. I tried chocolate shakes and sugar free puddin.g It taste like tin foil. My "Little Sleevie" doesn't like chocolate.I am still discovering other wonderful foods to indulge in. I have become a hummus lover. I am watching my protein, carbs, fluid and sugar intake. I am quite proud of myself. I have come along way and this is only the beginning of my new journey.

Ok! I am done babbling now. I am still on OH. I am usually on the vertical sleeve website, but I do check the MA site from time to time. I wish more people would post on here. It would be nice to have some local support. I would love to make some new friends. No matter which type of surgery you choose to have, we are all trying to achieve the same goals. Reach out people!

Mary Gee
on 12/4/13 5:19 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Well, it sounds like you are doing great  (with the exception of the constipation issue)  (TMI here, but my SO has constipation problems because of the junk he puts in his body -- I usually have to listen to him twice a day about whether or not he "had a movement" and if he did, then I get a vivid description about size, texture, and pain of the movement. he feels compelled to share these details even though I repeatedly ask him not to blush)

Sounds like you're making wonderful progress.  I've just started my journey (see signature line).  I'm going through U-Mass in Worcester.  I'm leaning toward RNY now, but do want to learn more about the sleeve because I'm reading good things about it here on the boards.  Right now there's a bit of a delay because one of their two Nutritionist left, so I can't see the one they have until late March.  They do say, however, that once they hire a second Nutritionist, they'll move everyone's appointment up.  Can't do the four weekly group counseling sessions until after you see Nutritionist.  

I waited too long to have this surgery - for two reasons.  I started the process about five years ago, but then my employer added a WLS exclusion so my insurance wouldn't cover it.  My health issues got worse and worse -- finally became disabled and after two years of disability I now have Medicare and Fallon Senior so insurance will cover it.  Second reason - I let my SO talk me out of it several times.  Whenever I mentioned it I got either the "I love you just as you are" speech, or the "You might die" speech.  I finally decided too bad for him, I've got to do this for me.  He says he has accepted it now, but he's trying to push the Band on me - but I've got a lot of weight to lose, and dont think it would be m best choice.   I have several health issues and most, not all, will disappear or improve with the by-pass surgery.  

So, I read the boards constantly to learn as much as I can.  I, too, wish more people would post here.  Before and after surgery I'll be going to the "surgery meetings" they have once a month - I expect/hope they have post-op patients there to talk about their experiences.

Sounds like you're really committed and I expect you will be very successful.  Best wishes to you.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 617 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2184 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4370 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4498 views