Losing 10% before surgery???

Mary G.
on 7/13/03 7:58 am
I went to an informational meeting the other night, and I expected to hear that I'd have to get medical clearance, see a nutritionist, see someone from behavioral medicine, go to support group meetings.....but I was surprised to learn I'd have to lose 10% of my body weight and start of regular exercise program before I would be approved by the surgeon.....is the 10% weight loss a routine requirement?
Amy S.
on 7/16/03 6:09 am - Hillsboro, or
I don't think so. Most surgeons in Ma don't require a certain amount of weight loss for everyone, it is discussed on a case by case basis. For example my surgeon didn't require me to lose x pounds, but just didn't want to see a gain. So when I lost weight between my initial appoinement and my follow up consultation she was very very happy. But other people have been told that they need to lose 10, 20, 30, whatever pounds. That's really wierd the 10%, that's a lot for most of us!!
Joni L.
on 7/22/03 1:20 am - MA
Hi Mary, I went to an "informational meeting" at the Faulkner last night and the subject of losing 10% pre-op came up. According to the surgeon, the primary purpose of losing weight before surgery is to reduce the size of your liver. The liver overlaps the area in which the surgeon needs to do his/her "thing." Decreasing your weight (by even the smallest amount) reduces the size of your liver thus giving the surgeon more room to work. In addition, the liver itself is not very flexible and the larger it is the more risk for damage during the procedure. If the liver is damaged during surgery the patient loses a great deal of blood and may subsequently need a transfusion. I'm going to try my darndest to lose whatever I can before my "big day!" Good luck to you. Joni
Martha K.
on 7/31/03 11:16 pm - Cape Cod, MA
Mary, hospitals vary on what they require pre-op. However, more and more hospitals are requiring you to lose 10% of your weight pre-op. Although this may sound a bit cruel since we are obviously having WLS because we have not had success at losing weight on our own, it is for our own best interest. Losing weight prior to surgery shrinks your liver and makes the surgery itself much easier. My particular hospital (Newton-Wellesley) does not require any weight loss. They do, however monitor you closely and do not tolerate any weight gain.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 615 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2183 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4368 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4496 views