Possible Surgery.....so many questions

charleenc
on 6/8/11 12:57 am - Canada
I have just received a call for my consultation on July 8 after waiting since September 2010 for a call.  Am just wondering about the consultation, pre-surgery, post surgery.  Any help would be wonderful.  Hope that this will help after years of struggling to lose weight.
notoriousgrannyD
on 6/8/11 12:33 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
If you read back through the threads, you'll find a wealth of info and most questions will be addressed in the posts (and you will get to know everyone)  I'm patiently waiting so I am no where near having a surgery date yet, so alas, I am no help to you.  sorry dude.

NGD
Michelle_2975
on 6/8/11 1:42 pm - Canada
Is your appointment for 8:00am at St. Bonifast Hospital or is it at 400 Tache Ave?
charleenc
on 6/8/11 2:05 pm - Canada
My appointment is actually on July 8th at 1pm at 400 Tache.
Tanya W.
on 6/9/11 12:24 am - Winnipeg, Canada

Hi Charlene;

The first consultation is painless. You meet with one of the surgeons and they discuss the two options available to you: Gastric Bypass (RNY) or Gastric Sleeve. From there, they will make appointments for you to see their nutritionist and psychologist. You will also need to book a pre-op physical with your physician - the surgeon's office will give you a form for your physician to fill out. 

Once all that is done, you will be booked for a surgery date. Two weeks before that you will need to go on a pre-op diet to reduce the size of your liver (so that it is out of the way for surgery). You will be prescribed two weeks worth of MediTrim products (shakes or bars) for these two weeks. This diet is not fun, but you will lose a ton of weight.

The surgery is done at the Victoria Hospital. The staff there is very nice. You will stay at least two nights in hospital. Then you go home to rest. I had the RNY and took a full month off. Some people take a little more, some less.

I'd suggest reading up on the two procedures Gastric Bypass & Gastric Sleeve before you go in for your consultation. That way you will know what questions you wish to ask the surgeon.

Good Luck!

Tanya 

charleenc
on 6/14/11 7:34 am - Canada
Thanks Tanya for all you help with my questions.  Do you know how long you had to wait for your appointments after the consultations and for surgery? 

Am getting a little anxious to finally have surgery and would love to start losing weight and feeling great again. 

Charleen
Most Active