Leg Cramps...

tuckergirl
on 8/6/11 2:49 am - Canada
Ok, so I'm 2 sleeps till my surgery and I am in PAIN today.

My calves (calfs? i have no idea...) are cramping SOOOO bad.
Kept me up during the nite and now I'm sitting in a warm bath cause they feel all black and blue.

Has this happened to anyone else??
Is it because I had to go off my vitamins for before the surgery?
And lack of food intake??

Not cool.  Very uncomfortable.

ALSO - I'm packing my hospital bag today and I know some of you mentioned to bring my own protein shakes.  Do I make my own at the hospital when they tell me I need to have one? Or can I drink one whenever I feel I need one? or how does that work?

The dietician never told me about eating in the hospital...

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate you all SOOOOO much.
We are gonna conquer so much together. :)

xoxo

Ticker id: tnRU

Michelle_2975
on 8/6/11 9:00 am - Canada
You need to drink more water. I would also suggest Vit C but you said you had to go off them. I would put my heating pad to the areas were I was cramping.

I brought RTD shakes to the hospital and just sipped it all day. They did bring me "meals" at meal times. They consisted of yucky soup broth, coffee or tea and jello and juices. Most of the stuff I gave back before they left my room with the cart so that they wouldn't go to waste. I just sipped at the juices and ate the jello unless they were red in colouring.

I wish you a safe surgery.

Mich
Mishyme
on 8/6/11 2:37 pm
I am not a DR......
YOU NEED TO DRINK MORE WATER, or suck, or chew ice cubes.  Drink a vitamin water with potassium in it. (G2)

I remember having leg cramps while pregnant and it was my potassium level. Take a peek at this chart.  FYI
Brussel sprouts, cooked 1 cup 504mgs
Beets, cooked 1 cup 519
Spinach, cooked 1 cup 839
Winter squash 1 cup 896
Tomato products, canned sauce 1 cup 909

Symptoms of Potassium Deficiency

A diet that does not include enough potassium rich foods or dietary supplements will soon lead to health complications. Symptoms of a deficiency of potassium in the body include water retention, heart arrhythmias, continual thirst, high blood pressure, nerve and muscle dysfunction, confusion, and vomiting. The vomiting will lead to a further deficiency in the mineral. These symptoms, affecting numerous body functions are caused by the electrolyte imbalance brought on by potassium deficiency.

You might want to call the Clinic and leave a message or try calling the Victoria and ask to speak to floor 2 nurse station(the nurses that look after us after surgery)  They might be able to help.  You could also look on the main forum and type a search for leg cramps.

Hope this helps. REMEMBER if in doubt call. Clinic, Victoria Hosp, or the Health Links.

Michelle
Stats: HW 311 lbs in Aug 2010, VSG on 10/19/2010, Surgeons goal 208lbs, My Goal 175lbs or less Current 193lbs
fullohope
on 8/7/11 5:57 am
Hi,
I get those once in a while. It is usually when i have stopped taking my calcium.

Can you take a cal-mag pill?

I agree with more potassium as well.

Drink Drink Drink

As other person already said- call vic, clinic

I am starting pre op diet tuesday. I was not told not to take vitamins....were you told not to take them?

Most Active