Just want to say Hi

Daisy68
on 11/11/11 11:47 pm - Canada
 Hello all,
I am new to the forum on the wait list.  The posts and support on the board here are so helpful and is a great source of information.  I have a bit of a wait yet, which is okay because I still have not decided which surgery is right for me.  I would welcome any feedback.
I am 43, and need to lose about 100 lbs.  I would describe myself as a "carb addict" meaning once I eat carbs I crave carbs and then really overeat.  I also can consume a lot and not feel full at all.
What are your opinions?

Sista10
on 11/12/11 3:51 am - Winnipeg, Canada
Welcome to the form. I had my surgery 5 1/2 mths ago. I decided on the sleeve, I am down 66 pounds. I have to lose over 100 pounds also and hope I do by my 1 year mark. I love my sleeve, great restriction, I can eat anything, but choose not to eat pasta rice and bread tell I get to goal.
What type of surgery depends on you, do all the research and choose what is best for you. This is a great place to start, EVERYONE on here is fantastic, very supportive. This site has helped me feel " normal" going through this journey, I love these girls.
You can read my story if your on my friends list
Shan
grneyedgrl75
on 11/12/11 9:06 am - Canada
Welcome, I'm also waiting for my date. I'm 36 and wanting to lose over 100lbs also...I'm leaning towards the RnY but i'll talk to my surgeon and see what he thinks is best for me.  anything you feel like you wanna ask , ask away , the people on here are fantastic ..they'll answer anything. 
again Welcome

Nicole

TotalKa_os
on 11/12/11 9:22 am - Canada
Welcome!
I had my surgery 7 weeks ago. I went with the RNY for a variety of reasons. It was just the best choice for me. I was told that I had 100 pounds to lose as well.
I am feeling amazing. I have no regrets and am thankful every day! I have lost 41 pounds so far.
With the RNY I can't eat a lot of carbs. My pouch doesn't really like them and I feel yucky almost immediately. That's a good thing for me...I used to love carbs and would always go overboard. Now I don't even miss them! 
With the RNY I feel full almost immediately. It's a strange feeling...because I never used to feel full.
I was a bit worried about getting the VSG, only because I suffered some acid reflux in my pregnancies and the surgeon said there was a risk of recurring acid reflux with VSG.
I don't have any of the 'dumping' symptoms that are sometimes associated with RNY. I only feel nauseous when I eat 'white foods' or eat too fast.
RNY is malabsortive...which means the part of your intestine that absorbs calories (and certain vitamins) is bypassed. That is a good thing...but it also means that I'll be on certain vitamins forever (which is fine with me!).
Good luck with your decision. There are lots of benefits to both surgeries and you will read many success stories with both.
Take care,
Kaos

HW: 290 SW: 260 CW: 165 Their goal: 195 My goal: 160

Dianne C.
on 11/13/11 4:51 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Hi Daisy68! 

I'm new here, too, as of last week. I only found out that Manitoba was even offering weight loss surgery when I stumbled across this forum.

I had already decided to go to Tijuana, Mexico for the VSG (planning for January 2012). I'm not willing to wait 18 months to get it done here and paid for by Manitoba Health, so I'm paying out of my/our own pocket. 

I found an accredited Bariatric Centre of Excellence and feel pretty confident in my decision to go there and to have VSG.  I had never even heard of the vertical sleeve gastrectomy until late this summer when I saw an ad on Facebook for  a website for a company in Saskatoon that facilitates the surgery at another facility in Tijuana, Mexico. The company in Saskatoon has many employees and patients who have had VSG who have lost well over 100 lb.

Anyway, I ramble....if you were wondering if you can lose enough weight with the VSG, from what I have read, yes, you can. (I personally need to lose well over 100 lb. I'm 53.) 

There's some good info in this video, too. 

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/video/healthyliving-22429516/woman-drops-130-lbs-post-radical-surgery-27225603.html

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Mishyme
on 11/13/11 8:40 am
I have lost 118lbs in 13 months with the VSG!!  It can be done!!

I started out at 311 and weigh in at 193lbs and stand 5'10.5. I am 40 years old and have had 3 kids too!!

My extra skin is my issue now, not the FAT!!

Michelle
Stats: HW 311 lbs in Aug 2010, VSG on 10/19/2010, Surgeons goal 208lbs, My Goal 175lbs or less Current 193lbs
Dianne C.
on 11/13/11 9:57 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Hi Michelle

That`s awesome!  I hope I can say the same thing by the beginning of 2013. (I need to lose 120 lb to get to a BMI of 25.)

I have two kids, but since they`re 30 and 32, I don`t even think of having them as being part of the equation! I've just been steadily gaining all my life with the occasional yo-yo weight loss/gain.

Did I read on here somewhere that Manitoba Health is going to pay for plastic surgery to remove excess skin for those of you who had the surgery done in Winnipeg? It will be great if you can eventually have that.  (I've read so many posts in so many places I don't remember for sure.) I'm not looking forward to having that problem. There's always Mexico to have that fixed, too, but that's a hurdle to cross when I get there. 

Have a good week, everybody! 

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Daisy68
on 11/13/11 6:59 am - Canada
 Thank you all for the warm welcome and helpful information.  I check in daily and learn something new everyday.  I hope the Surgeon can help me with my decision.  They say the RNY is for someone with a sweet tooth.  I wouldn't say I have a sweet tooth but simple carbs are sugar, am I right? Another question, does that mean I have a sweet tooth?

Michelle_2975
on 11/13/11 8:35 pm, edited 11/13/11 8:36 pm - Canada
Hi Daisy, welcome to our group.
I got the RNY Jan 17 of this year. Although I think I am a slow loser, I have lost 90lbs since surgery. I do not regrete getting this surgery and would do it again in a heart beat. The women on this site are really great and if you have a question, don't be shy, someone will answer it.
tuckergirl
on 11/14/11 12:06 am - Canada
Hi Daisy!! :)

I am about 3 months post op from VSG surgery.
Starting Weight was 230 and I'm sitting around 169 now.

I think you are on the right track - just research & research & research.

THe surgeon and I had differing opinons about which surgery I should have but because I was so educated and knew so much about what I really wanted and why I didn't want other options, he ended up agreeing with me.  Keep searching online and for me, it was especially watching the YOUTUBE vids.

GOOD LUCK! and I can say from experience - this group is AWESOME!!! :)

xoxo

Ticker id: tnRU

Most Active