Biliary Stones

Lynn B.
on 1/8/12 11:47 am
Hi Everyone - haven't been on the forum for a while - nice to see everyone is still here for support.  I just wanted to share a recent experience with you all - I had my RNY in July 2011 and have had a bit of discomfort when trying to digest certain foods  - I'd say about once a week - but it would usually pass within 30 minutes to an hour.  I started having pain more often and a couple weeks ago the pain would not go away - got progressively stronger.  I felt nauseous and was throwing up foamy bile.  Went to emergency and ended up in the hospital for over a week with biliary stones (similar to gallstones, only that they occur in the common bile duct leading from the liver to the small intestine - I had my gall bladder out 20 years ago).  One of the causes of these stones is rapid weight loss, so I mention this as it could happen to a lot of us. 

Anyway, they tried to remove them with a scope, but due to my changed stomach anatomy, they were unsuccessful. I was on an IV for a week as I could not eat without getting sick. I finally was sent for an MRI but by then the stones had passed on their own.  Just want to let you all know that if you have pain that lasts for an extended period - don't ignore it - get checked out because you do not want to end up with pancreatitis as a result.  I am feeling fine now - just hoping it doesn't reoccur.  Take care everyone!
Lynn

Tanya W.
on 1/13/12 11:16 am - Winnipeg, Canada
Oh how awful. I hope that you are ok now. I have never heard of that as a possible complication. Thanks for giving us all the heads-up.

Most Active