Chairs with Arms at Dr's Office!

Mishyme
on 3/8/12 8:20 am
Have you noticed that the chairs at the Pilot Program Clinic  have arms on them?  

Just one of the things that a person who is not obese would not understand. Sure the clinic is used for other appointments, but there is/was very few chairs without arms. 

Another thing the exam tables are too narrow as well, not for Bariatric sized people. 

I do realize the program is only a pilot program, but the chair thing really bothered me so much that I told Gosia about it during my interview.  I explained that we are also limited as to what kind of vehicle you can drive!!  I had to drive a Chevy Venture because I was too Fat to fit under the steering wheel of a litttle sports car.  It must have stuck in Gosia's head as she used my New Ride as a example.

I found this picture today and It really brought back how I felt sitting in the waiting room prior to surgery.

I  
Stats: HW 311 lbs in Aug 2010, VSG on 10/19/2010, Surgeons goal 208lbs, My Goal 175lbs or less Current 193lbs
TotalKa_os
on 3/8/12 8:46 am - Canada
Ha ha... I can totally relate. I went to see Laura today and I purposely went to the one chair WITH ARMS!!! Most of the rest didn't have arms but I deliberately wanted to go to the one with arms..not only did I fit just fine, but I managed to cross my legs for the entire time I was waiting. 

When I go for my massages, I still have a ton of room on the table...I'm not half falling off! I can gracefully turn over without feeling like a beached whale.

Oh the NSVs I experience each and every day are unlimited. I have brought the steering wheel down to the lowest setting! 

HW: 290 SW: 260 CW: 165 Their goal: 195 My goal: 160

Lori_Bla
on 3/8/12 9:26 am - Winnipeg, Canada
Wow, there are so many bad memories of my bigger days.  There was one time I was at the Chiropractor and he asked me to turn on my side so he could adjust my hips and I fell off the table.  Now when I go, he asks me to scootch closer to the edge.  Chairs used to me my worst nightmare.  If we went out for dinner, I always called to see if they had chairs with arms or not.  There are some chairs that I couldn't even fit into.
mama-of-2
on 3/8/12 11:19 am - Canada

You guys are right on the money about chairs etc.

My worst thing was going out to dinner and having to sit in a booth. Some booths would be ok but then there were others that were either bolted to the floor or the wall that you couldn't move. I would sit as far back in the booth and there would be little to no room between the table and my belly/boob area.

Not sure if it's just me but I seem to spill less on myself too. Seems like I would always drip a little sauce or something on the chest of my shirt. Now if I drip it falls onto the napkin on my lap.

Unless you've lived it, you simply will never understand.

The thing I'm waiting to do have to share a seat with someone on the bus. I never wanted to sit on top of the person so I would sit with one "cheek" on the seat.

Just an FYI, I'm down 60 pounds, weighing in at 179.

Karenerickson
on 3/8/12 11:56 am - Portage La Prairie, Canada
I have found that even 30lbs goine has made a difference in how I fit in things. Last year when we went to teh Goldeyes with our school I could sit back in the chairs and be comfortable.

I was very impressed with the sleep disorder clinic at Misercordia, I go with my husband and although their chairs have arms they are made wider and I had room to spare....

Looking forward to not having to worry about where I will fit and what's safe to sit on.
Most Active