Stricture or Ulcer?

Lynn B.
on 3/28/12 7:07 am
I have been having a really tough week. 

Last Wednesday, I was scared but excited as I went in to have a brachioplasty done (removal of excess skin on your arms and on the sides of breasts).  This is a small plastic surgery that I have been saving for which I really wanted to have done and healed before summer in order to feel more confident and be able to wear all clothes that showed my full arms. 

The surgery was done at Maples Surgical Centre by Dr. Jennifer Giuffres (who was wonderful).  I am healing nicely she says and I no longer was in pain by Friday.  Just have to take it easy and no lifting.

Then came Saturday morning - I tried to eat breakfast and ended up in the fetal position on my couch with chills, vomiting and stabbing pain below my belly button.  I had experienced this same pain in December (several times per day for several days) as well as less severe but similar single episodes in January and February.  In December, I was hospitalized for one week.  They suspected biliary stones in my common bile duct.  They tried to do an ERCP but were unsuccessful due to my RNY Gastric Bypass having changed my anatomy too much.  Then they scheduled me for an MRI but it was one week after the initial attack, so when the results came back "clear" - they assumed the stones had passed on their own and released me.  Said it might happen again, but it shouldn't.

Well it did - again and again - and last weekend was the worst I have experienced.  I had seen Dr. Andrews recently since I had been hospitalized with the last attack in February, so he had me go in for an MRI on March 16 again.  He also scheduled a gastroscopy for me April 10th.  While in the emergency ward at St. B hospital this weekend, they told me that the MRI results were clear once again.  What could be causing this???  Has anyone else experienced this type of pain?

I had a total of 5 extremely painful episodes throughout the day and evening on Saturday.  They released me Sunday morning - only to go home and have spend the day going through the same pain another 5 or 6 times.  It usually lasts for an hour each time and it now feels like my intestines are twisting as well.  I had several painful BM's on Sunday as well - but haven't had any since then. 

Everytime I drink a shake or eat anything, I hurt bad. 

Saw Dr. Vergis today (thank you for fitting me in!) and he said that they are going to explore two possible other options now that they have ruled out the possibility of gallstones.  He said it could be ulcers, or a stricture.  He put me on Nexium until my Gastroscopy Dr. Andrews will be doing April 10th.  During this procedure, they can confirm if it is either of these two problems.  If it IS a stricture, they will widen the space by inserting a balloon during the same procedure. 

My worry is "how do I survive till then"????  I had already reached my goal weight of 150 and saw that I was down to 142 this morning.  Everything I eat hurts.  Dr. Vergis said to try a concentrated Boost shake and drink it out of a pill cup - that amount every 15 minutes.  So now the pain is less severe - but pretty much constant.    Dr. said if I felt I was getting too dehydrated or malnourished they would have to admit me into St. B and put me on IV until April 10th.  I really don't want that!!!  I am a single Mom of a 3 yr old daughter and don't know how I am going to do this.

If anyone has experienced this, or has any ideas to share, please do!!

Thank you!

Lynn

justlori
on 3/28/12 8:52 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 02/21/12
Oh my word Lynn...so sorry to hear what you're going through.  And not knowing what the problem is makes it all the worse.  If you haven't already done so, I would post your problem in the RNY forum on this site.  You will get a lot more readers in there and you never know, perhaps someone has experienced what you're dealing with now. 

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary
HW 282  CW 229  Height 5'9"  NUT Goal: 195-199  My Goal: 175

Wanda_G
on 3/28/12 10:09 am - Canada
Lynn,

I am just a little over my 3 month mark of post op (RNY)and I can truly feel your pain.  I am also going thru a similar issue.  I am scheduled for a scope on April 24th and not sure how to go on.  I try to dilute the shakes but it is having a hard time going thru.  Monday was the first day I had to miss work as this is getting to be an issue.  I am getting frustrated and trying to stay out of St B ER, because I hate that place.  I have been trying to phone the office but the message states the office is closed, ugh.  Going to see the GP on Friday but what is she going to do as this is related to the surgery.  I am getting weaker but I don't want to get dehydrated.
Sorry I can't help, but I just wanted to let you know someone else is going through this.
justlori
on 3/28/12 10:32 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 02/21/12

Wanda, so sorry to hear that you're having problems too.   FYI, Andrea is off this week.  That's what I was told when someone called me today to cancel my post-op follow-up appointment that was scheduled for this morning.   They really have to have someone there answering the phone at all times for when situations like yours arise. 

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary
HW 282  CW 229  Height 5'9"  NUT Goal: 195-199  My Goal: 175

Lynn B.
on 3/28/12 11:16 am
Thanks Lori - I will try and post there.  

Lynn
Most Active