Greek yogurt & protein powder

Dianne C.
on 8/5/12 7:02 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Someone may have already thought of this, but I haven't read about it, so I thought I'd share. 

I usually put a teaspoon or two of low sugar/high fruit jam in Greek yogurt. Today I decided to try adding some chocolate protein powder. It was pretty good. There was still a bit of grittiness from the protein powder, but it wasn't horrible. If I had let it sit a bit longer, it might have dissolved more.

The yogurt has 18 g of protein in 3/4 of a cup. If you put in half a scoop of protein powder, you get another 10-13 g or so, depending on the brand, so you can get 28-30+ g of protein in one serving. It would probably be good with strawberry or even vanilla or some of the other flavours, too.

I ordered a bunch of sugar-free syrups so I'll try some different combinations and see what I get.

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

BCwaiting
on 8/5/12 10:37 am - Canada
I have mixed Vanilla protein into anything I can, oatmeal, cream of wheat into yogurt and cottage cheese and milk. Add some fruit like blueberries and it is great. I have also added strawberry flavoring and then added strawberries along with my scoop of protein mix. I also made homemade applesauce and mixed it into either yogurt or cottage cheese along with a scoop of protein powder. I added UNFLAVOURED protein powder into anything else I could, like soups, jello, pudding, chili. Now that I am eating so much more, I don't have shakes anymore and am not adding too much protein powder anymore either, but it is good to have on hand when you don't meet your daily needs and need a bit extra protein.

referral April/2011 Weight 230 lbs.,orientation Nov 30/2011, surgeon Jan 4/2012, Psych Feb 2, Dietician March 15, physical Apr 12, Surgery VSG May 29/2012,
pre-op weight 180 lbs. ,         
rainyone
on 8/5/12 12:31 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
sounds like a great idea.

Before my surgery I mixed greek yogurt in with sf/ff pudding mix and putting it in a crust and topping with sf whipped cream... I thought it was amazing.  Sometimes i add some ff/sf pudding into my greek yogurt and it feels like an amazing treat.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Dianne C.
on 8/5/12 1:05 pm - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Yum...almost healthy sort-of cream pie! You could even just put enough for one serving in a bowl and sprinkle it with a few cookie crumbs or graham crumbs or Oreo crumbs and/or some nuts...the possibilities are almost endless. 

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Madelaine2000
on 8/6/12 6:14 am
Rainy,

What ratio did you use? I would like to try something like that because the yogurt pre surgery diet turned me off so badly but maybe that might be yummy and protein packed?

Referred Dec/2011
Acceptance letter Jan 24/12
VSG MAY 22 DR. PONCE DE LEON MEXICO
7.5 months - 70 pounds!!!

Dianne C.
on 8/6/12 6:23 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Hi Madeleine

Did you have Greel yogurt for your preop or just regular yogurt?  Greek yogurt tastes nothing like regular yogurt to me. I've tried protein powder in regular yogurt and didn't like it at all.

I used too much protein powder in my trial. I would try 1/2 a scoop of protein powder to 3/4 cup of Greek yogurt.  You can play with the amounts to suit your own taste, obviously. It is definitely protein-packed. I'm also going to try adding a few crushed nuts and I'm going to try freezing a small amount to see what it's like as an ice cream alternative.

Dianne           

Most Active