Unflavoured protein powder

Alvina300
on 8/20/12 1:10 pm - Canada
I just went to Tache pharmacy to pickup the Beneprotein unflavoured protein powder (6 gm) protein.   Then for the heck of it stopped at Nutrition Plus by Winners on Pembina Hwy and found Harmonized unflavored protein powder (24gm) protein with lactose since I'm allergic to dairy.

It came in the big containers  840 g for $52 and I paid $24 for 220 g

I will try both but it looks like the Harmonized one has alot more nutrients  and much cheaper .

has anyone tried this one?

Thanks
Alvina
notoriousgrannyD
on 8/20/12 6:31 pm
VSG on 10/16/12

This is super good to know, I was wondering how I was going to get to Tache pham.  to get some (as my local search has been futile) but that is perfect, I can grab some when I go for my surgery (send hubby on an errand lol)  Thanks again

. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
Alvina300
on 8/20/12 6:51 pm - Canada
Hi there

No problem.   You must be getting excited too.  I got the calcium and vitamin D at costco (pkg of 2) large bottles (liquid)  and the pharmacist confirmed it was calcium citrate since its not clearly marked in the large print.   I also picked up the premier chocolate shakes (ready made) at costco. 

Take care
Alvina
Dianne C.
on 8/20/12 7:55 pm - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Hi ladies 

Several companies make unflavoured protein powder. I have some made by North Coast Naturals that I got at Bulk Barn by the Walmart on Ellice. I've had it for a while and I don't remember how much I paid for it, but probably similar to Alvina's cost of the other brand. I suspect you can find lots of other brands out there. Most health food stores and places like Popeyes probably have others.

The serving size of the Beneprotein is 7 g (for 6 g of protein). The serving size of the unflavoured protein powder I have is 28 g (for 24 g of protein), which is exactly 4 times the Beneprotein amounts, so they are identical protein-wise, but the Beneprotein is definitely way more expensive.

In the "interests of science", I just tried mixing equal amounts of the Beneprotein and my unflavoured protein powder in ho****er (boiled in a kettle, then a couple of ounces poured into a mug). Both of them seemed to mix pretty well. I have read in a lot of places that regular protein powders don't mix into hot liquids, but this one seemed okay. They both tasted equally awful, just FYI! 

Alvina, do you mean that product you bought says it is lactose FREE??? Please be careful if you have a true allergy to dairy.  Lactose is a milk product. Most protein powders and shakes are made with whey protein. (There are some made with soy.) The first ingredients listed on the Premier shakes are milk protein concentrate & whey protein concentrate.

This is a quote from the site below regarding whey protein:  
If you have milk allergies you should not eat whey protein or any other milk-based products without consulting your doctor first.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/539857-whey-protein-dairy- intolerance/#ixzz2493LvDAG

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Alvina300
on 8/20/12 8:21 pm - Canada
Hi there

Thanks for pointing that out.  I am lactose intolerent and they said this would help to digest the protein powder.  I am learning alot from people like you with lots of good info.

I looked for unflavored but I guess I never checked the health stores

Thanks
Alvina
Most Active