Support needed

dawn251
on 1/21/13 10:53 pm
My acceptance letter is dated May 2012. So I have at least another 6 months of waiting. I went and signed up for Herbal Magic last week but now I am having second thoughts. It is around $350 a month. It just bothers me to have to spend that money on a program that may or may not work. Any support or advice would be great.
TammaT
on 1/21/13 11:35 pm - Canada

Hi Dawn,

I'm a big advocate of My Fitness Pal (myfitnesspal.com). Build your profile, enter in your weight, how much you want to lose per week, etc and it will tell you how many calories you should be consuming, etc.  I did this in April 2012 while I was waiting for a surgery consult/date. I entered in everything I ate....even the 4780 calorie day when I binged on McDonald's breakfast. I entered everything, good or bad. After a while, it clicked for me and I was more conscious of what I was eating and thinking twice b/c I knew I had to enter it in and I did not want to see any numbers in RED telling me I went over. I ended up losing 21lbs over the next few months and it also showed the dietician how committed I was to losing and focusing on healthier choices when she looked over my journal before giving her go ahead for surgery.

I also did Herbal Magic years ago....they had a pill for everything and you know, I gained it all back and then some. 

I know it's freaking cold out now, but walking every day for 20-30 min will help as well....mobility wise and mood wise too. And water...water, water, water....cut out the pop now (b/c you can't have it after surgery) and I bet you lose 10lbs just like that!! Do not skip meals either....bad, bad, bad!!

Just my two cents....good luck!!!

Referral Oct 31/2011. Group Session May 4/2012. Surgeon Consult Sept 26th, 2012. Surgery Nov 13, 2012. VSG - Dr. C. Andrew, Victoria Hospital. Nut goal 170lbs, personal goal 150lbs. 

Angie_77
on 1/22/13 6:25 am - Canada

I also did herbal magic years ago and I did lose weight and I did feel great but as soon as I stopped taking all the pills, I gained it all back and more.  They do give you some great information and I found it helpful, some of it I still use to this day but they make you take all the pills, I asked if I could pay extra and still go for the support and help with meals and stuff without taking the pills, they said no...that in itself says something about that program.

I agree with my fitness pal, it's very surprising to see the actual content of what you eat in a day, that changed my habits within a week or so.

Referral Nov 2011, Group Meeting Nov 2012, Surgeons  Nov 2012, Team Meetings Dec 2012, Craving Change program Dec 2012. Surgery Date Feb 2013 

amyred27
on 1/22/13 12:17 am

Hello there!

It is hard waiting for something one so very much wants, isn't it? I always tell my husband good things come to those who wait. Try to take this time and make as many health related improvements you can before surgery. Research the procedures, sign up for Craving Changes program. Start cutting out pop and taking your vitamins, build up your exercise regime, build a support network for yourself. Start a foor journal, or a journal of your thoughts about the process. If you actively do things that are required for this process, maybe it will make it feel more "real" and worth the wait.

Just remember that your day is coming, and even though it may seem far away, it is giving you time to mentally and physically prepare for the journey.

I do not suggest any diet supplements. you never know how they will interact with medications, and as soon as you stop taking them, the weight will come back.

Just try to monitor your calories and move a little more each day.

All the best to you!

dawn251
on 1/25/13 9:04 am
Thank you so much for the advice. Signing up was a moment if weakness. I know my time will come. I am planning on doing a 10k this spring so I will just keep training for that and stay away from the scale for now.
Most Active