Recipe for high protein muffins

Dianne C.
on 3/2/13 11:43 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

I experimented with a recipe for muffins that I found on the internet. They turned out pretty well, but I've only tried them warm right out of the oven. I had some vanilla protein powder I don't like the taste of as a shake, but it worked well in these.

Each muffin has about 235 calories and 22 g of protein. This recipe makes 6 muffins. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 6 muffin cups. 

Mix together:

1/4 c coconut flour (you could try almond flour; the protein value & calories are quite close) (Bulk Barn has this)

1/8 c ground flax seed

1/8 c bran 

1/8 c chia seeds (I added these because I had bought them at Costco and never figured out what to put them in!)

1/2 c steel cut oats (the recipe I modified called for these and I had them, so I used them. You could probably substitute rolled oats, which would give each muffin 25 fewer calories and 1 g less of protein and a different texture.)

2 tsp baking powder

2 scoops vanilla protein powder (the brand I used has 130 calories/25 g protein per scoop)

1/8 c xylitol crystals (Bulk Barn - had never seen this before, so I tried it; it looks like sugar & measures like sugar)

1/4 c chopped pecans

a pinch of salt

Mix together:

1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk (40 cal/cup)

1/2 c Greek yogurt

1 egg

I think I would add a teaspoon of vanilla, which wasn't in the recipe and I didn't think of when I was making them.

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then mix together. 

Bake 18-20 minutes.

These are very dense and quite chewy. Good with a bit of peanut butter. These are probably fairly high in carbohydrates, but I didn't calculate that. 

The original recipe had a mashed banana and applesauce. Since I didn't have either, I substituted the Greek yogurt (more protein) and extra almond milk. 

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Most Active