10 days post-op

losingforlife
on 3/11/13 1:35 pm - Canada

When trying the puree foods, you won't be able to have much at first.  Keep the 30 seconds after swallowing before taking the next small spoonful.  Then if you feel you had enough, stop.  I remember feeling satisfied very quickly after a few spoons.  Your pouch is still swollen and the puree will stay in longer than the liquid.  Take it easy!  It seems like such a small amount but will be enough.  Slow and steady!

I'm over 3 months now and can only eat 4 ounces for a meal.  At my 3 month check in with nutrition, I was told to increase my calories to 1000 - 1200 a day.  I know i can't do it at once but over the next couple of months it can happen.

BCwaiting
on 3/13/13 1:37 am - Canada
I had a VSGtoo. At 10 days I was having protein drinks made with fruit juices like mango or pineapple to change up the tastes and blended in protein powder. Water them down if they are too thick for you. I also would take v8 juice or carrot juice and blend protein powder into them. I even tried blending canned salmon into my v8 juice and heated it, it tasted like clam chowder. Or I would mix protein and jello into cottage cheese or yogurt and blend it to a thin consistency. STOP drinking any liquids or water 1/2 hour before you try eating a meal and then just start sipping 1/2 hour later. Yes you will be full, that is why you will only be able to sip in between. I was only getting in 4-5 glasses ! Or around 48 ounces of actual water in between meals. But remember, all those shakes or juices are also considered fluids. Don't worry about sugar or calories at this point as you are already eating next to nothing and that is why you are so tired. Just try to get as much liquids in as possible as you can, no matter where they come from. Each week, you will be able to take in more and in 10 months you will be saying like I do now...man, I can't believe how much I can eat again and will be trying to cut back. Good luck, Barb C

referral April/2011 Weight 230 lbs.,orientation Nov 30/2011, surgeon Jan 4/2012, Psych Feb 2, Dietician March 15, physical Apr 12, Surgery VSG May 29/2012,
pre-op weight 180 lbs. ,         
BCwaiting
on 3/13/13 7:11 am - Canada
Oh, you may just be taking it in too quickly. Try to slow it down. Put your spoon down and don't gulp. It hurt me in my chest too if I took it in too quick or too much on my spoon.. Try using a baby spoon. Barb C

referral April/2011 Weight 230 lbs.,orientation Nov 30/2011, surgeon Jan 4/2012, Psych Feb 2, Dietician March 15, physical Apr 12, Surgery VSG May 29/2012,
pre-op weight 180 lbs. ,         
jennygirl
on 3/13/13 7:58 am
Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate it all. I picked up the premier protein shakes from Costco and I love them! So glad I found out about them. Yes, take it slow and slowly progress, good advice.
Most Active