10 days post-op

jennygirl
on 3/9/13 11:01 am
So I am 10 days postop from vsg. I have been mainly having soup and Greek yogurt. Today we made chicken soup and I pureed some for supper. It was the consistency of pudding. I had literally 6 teaspoons then stopped and I have been feeling so full for the past four hours I feel like it's sitting in my chest!! I also noticed this with my Greek yogurt this morning. Is this normal? How am I supposed to get my fluids in if I am so full for so long?
Angie_77
on 3/9/13 9:33 pm - Canada

Hi Jenny,

I pureed some chicken and veggies a few days ago with broth and it was the right consistency but like you I felt so full, I could barely get any water in for the rest of the night.  I ended up getting sick that night, a few times throughout the night, and a few times in the morning.  I still felt sick and slept most of the next day but then woke up and felt better.  I was able to get drinking and just went back to jello, broth, yogurt.  I figured it was trying to progress too soon or maybe the consistency was a bit too thick? No idea, but I haven't tried it again yet, I've been sticking to other things that are naturally pureed.  Hopefully yours passes without getting sick but if not just try to take tiny sips as often as you can.

Referral Nov 2011, Group Meeting Nov 2012, Surgeons  Nov 2012, Team Meetings Dec 2012, Craving Change program Dec 2012. Surgery Date Feb 2013 

jennygirl
on 3/9/13 10:57 pm
Hi Angie,

This sure is a learning process isn't it! I guess the soup was maybe too thick. I did end up feeling better about 10:00 last night but didn't get anymore water in. I am nervous to introduce new things and like you have been sticking to liquids all this time like soup, broth and yogurt. I thought I would try something with actual protein in it already like the chicken. Even the protein powder shakes make me nauseous. I just can't get them down. I saw a post that someone put the powder in Greek yogurt so I may try that. Glad to know I'm not alone!
Angie_77
on 3/10/13 4:31 am - Canada

It sure is!  I put the protein powder in my greek yogurt and my jello, I haven't had any problems with that.  Just stir really well, I find you have to let the jello melt a bit for the protein to disolve well.   I also put protein powder in my iced tea because as long as I shake it enough it just tastes like iced tea. 

My newest problem, which may be tmi, is that I've had diarrhea for the past 2 days.  No idea what it could be from but it sucks, it woke me up in the middle in the night and today I'm exhausted and have been sleeping off and on.  I don't think it's milk intolerance because I've been drinking milk for over a week now without a problem.  The only new thing I introduced into my diet is pudding (no sugar added), I've only had 1 of them so not sure if that would do it.

Referral Nov 2011, Group Meeting Nov 2012, Surgeons  Nov 2012, Team Meetings Dec 2012, Craving Change program Dec 2012. Surgery Date Feb 2013 

jennygirl
on 3/11/13 4:20 am
That sucks! Sorry you are having issues! I am the opposite from you, I can't go! I have been taking something for it though. I am sticking to more liquidy things right now and will slowly progress my diet as I go along. I am definitely noticing a change in my energy level from last week which I am happy about.
Dianne C.
on 3/10/13 12:29 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

Hi there

I put protein powder in my Greek yogurt, but it is really thick. It might not sit well in your stomach at this point. Have you tried drinkable yogurt? I had my surgery in Mexico and that was the first thing on my diet list.

Don't let the full feeling stop you from drinking. You absolutely have to get  fluids in. Wait the half hour or hour (whichever your plan recommends) after eating and then start drinking again, just sips. 

I think every single one of us has found they can't stomach protein drinks following surgery. The taste of them made me almost gag. Your sense of taste changes for several weeks after surgery. 

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

jennygirl
on 3/11/13 4:25 am
Do you use beneprotein or the whey protein powders? I bought 100% whey cookies and cream powder from walmart and I don't like it. Seems like such a waste for this giant container I have. I have heard there are ready made protein drinks but where do you get them?
BeginsToday
on 3/11/13 5:05 am

Costco has ready made Premium Protein shakes that have 30 g of protein and taste like chocolate milk. I add some shaved ice and some coffee flavored protein powder and it is great for breakfast. Enjoy

jennygirl
on 3/11/13 6:28 am
That's awesome! Thank you! I think I will go tonight
Dianne C.
on 3/11/13 8:03 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

I use vanilla protein powder in my Greek yogurt usually. I add about a tablespoon of peanut butter and jam to about 125 g of yogurt. It's quite yummy. If you try this, stay away from fruit jams with little seeds for at least a few more weeks. I've also tried strawberry, blueberry and orange protein powder. They're good, too. I'm not keen on the cookies & cream either. 

The ready-made protein drinks at Costco are the Premier Protein ones (see the ad at the bottom of this page!). Costco also has muscle Milk, which has only half as much protein. Unfortunately I've only ever seen the chocolate flavour here.

Also, in case you haven't found these, Costco has the best price on Greek yogurt. They sell 3 of the Kirkland brand 500 g containers for about $9. That's basically like getting one free compared to what other places charge for a 500 g container.

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Most Active