Gallbladder

jennygirl
on 4/5/13 10:53 pm
So I've had my second gallbladder attack in a week and let me tell you it was more horrible than the first. It lasted four hours! If I could get on a operating table today I would! I was sleeved six weeks ago. From what I read up on it, it can be caused by high cholesterol (not me since mine is a bit below normal) or from rapid weight loss.

Has anyone else had this experience after WLS? I'm still waiting on an ultrasound to be scheduled.
notoriousgrannyD
on 4/5/13 11:19 pm
VSG on 10/16/12

This is a fairly common side effect of WLS, kinda like losing your hair - it happens to some .... some are luckier.  I have had a silent gallstone for over 18 years now, it used to bother me and I was scheduled for surgery but had to cancel a couple of time and then it just seemed to "go away" so I kinda rolled with that.  Fast forward 18 years later and I'm having my Barium swallow for my VSG pre op and low and behold - the gallstone is still there!.  I was hoping Dr. Andrew would have removed my gallbladder when he did my VSG (some surgeons in the states to this) but it was too late, the OR set up was done so we are just keeping and eye on it.  So far so good but I was told to try and lose a little slower.  Apparently when we lose weight too fast our gallbladders can't process the byproducts as quick and sludge and calcium can build up in the GB (cholelithiasis)  I was also told that our fat stores keep alot of excess estrogen as well which is released as we lose weight...... which can lead to PMS type symptoms (No dear, I'm not crazy, it's my fat stores talking .... lol - my poor husband)

Anyway, that's all I heard about the GB and WLS

. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
J. t
on 4/7/13 11:54 am - Canada

i haven't had surgery yet but i had my gallbladder out after i had attacks that dropped my blood pressure enough for me to pass out. yeah.. that AND severe pain for hours! you want to get that thing out asap. in the mean time, if you eat anything fatty at all, even a little bit, take a lecithin capsule or granules. the function of bile is to emulsify fats - lecithin does that, thereby taking the strain off your gallbladder.

good luck!

referred nov 2012 accepted march 2013 orientation october 2014. sw: 287

Most Active