Manitoba Health Plan

2renee
on 5/16/13 11:22 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

Hi all,

I am looking for information for a family member that lives in Winnipeg and I was hoping someone could save me a lot of time if you guys already know if your provincial health plan will cover duodenal switch surgery, or the vsg.  Do they refer patients out of province or to the States?

its-killen-me
on 5/16/13 4:33 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

Duodenal switch is not covered, but VSG is, and so is RNY.  There is a Manitoba Program, you get referred by your family doctor.  The max bmi right now for the manitoba program is 55.  They will also cover out of province and also transportation for the patient and one caregiver.  There is a program in Edmonton called weight wise or something like that, I believe their max bmi is 60. This program also requires a referral from your doctor.   Hope this helps.  There is also a Dotor in Medicine Hat named Carl Nohr that does RNY which is covered by Manitoba health.(ALSO 55 MAX BMI).  Most wait times are approx. 2 years.  Mexico is also an option for self pay.  Lots of us go there.  I did.   Duodenal switch done for $8500.  all inclusive.

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Most Active