Silly question.

TJLJ
on 5/23/13 7:48 pm - winnipeg, Canada
I had the RNY. Are the staples permanent? Or disolving. I honestly dont recall anyone mentioning it to me. What are they made of?

Ref letter Nov 11, group session Dec 12/12,   RNY - April 30/13

goneforgood
on 5/23/13 8:42 pm
Nobody told me anything either but they have to be dissolving. Ask at your 6 week appointment. Just got my appointment yesterday for June 17th. I am 11 days post op today and feeling good. Just seem to wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning and have a hard time going back to sleep. Hence, I am awake at 5:42 a.m. Hope you are doing well! What are you eating at this point? I am blending chicken breast, having Greek yogurt, still some Boost, cooked and mashed carrots. Feeling good!
TJLJ
on 5/24/13 1:17 am - winnipeg, Canada
Im 3 weeks post op and sadly I've been pushing the envelope. I cant handle any dairy yet. I have been eating the stuff at the 4 week point. Soft meat, boiled veggies, scrambled eggs. I gag on the pureed foods. I do incorporate a lot of mushed stuff like apple sauce, oatmeal etc. I know rushing the diet is bad, but when I gag....I dont know what else to do. I only had ine bad instance where I got sick from what I ate andnit was a stupid attempt. I just have to take a step back and slow it down. Lol. Im still shopping for a good flavored protein shake tho.

goneforgood
on 5/24/13 2:53 am
I have been lucky with the foods I am eating but I am following the sheets they gave us quite religiously. Scared I guess! Some examples I have are:

Breakfast: 1/3 cup of Greek flavoured yogurt with 8 gr. protein powder and 1/4 cup skim milk & coffee with 1/4 cup skim milk and splenda

Lunch: 1 oz. roasted chicken breast with some chicken broth and 1/4 cup of mashed cooked carrots with salt and pepper and a very small amount of butter

Dinner: 1 oz. roasted chicken breast with chicken broth and 1/3 cup non-sweetened apple sauce. Had carrots again for dinner.

Evening: Have what I have for breakfast. Sometimes I also have this in the PM as a snack.

If I still need more protein, I will have some Diabetic Chocolate Boost to make sure I am hitting 60-65 grams/day.
candygirl2698
on 5/23/13 9:42 pm - Canada

Staples on the inside are permanent.

Referred Sept/11, Group Orientation June 13/12, Surgery date Nov. 7/12 RNY        
TJLJ
on 5/24/13 1:18 am - winnipeg, Canada
Will we set off any metal detectors? Lol

candygirl2698
on 5/24/13 10:10 am - Canada

Nope we will not set off any metal detectors or get held up at the Air Port.... I asked Dr. Vergis! :)

Referred Sept/11, Group Orientation June 13/12, Surgery date Nov. 7/12 RNY        
Dianne C.
on 5/24/13 10:47 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

Actually, yes, you may be questioned when checking in at the airport if you go through a body scanner! I had my surgery in Mexico and in the body scanner in San Diego the attendant asked me if I'd just had surgery because they could see the staples, then she needed to check my dressing. Drug smugglers may go to any lengths these days. The staples are made of titanium.

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

its-killen-me
on 5/26/13 3:22 am - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

As far as I know the staples are safe for MRI machines etc.   I had mine done in Mexico too, and the people at the San diego airport checked my medications etc.  I told them before the metal detector that I had staples in my stomach.  They didn't bother me after that.  Mine are made of Titanium too.  

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Most Active