Opinions on surgery in Mexico?

Nicky1982
on 7/26/13 4:56 am - Winnipeg, Canada

Hey folks! I have been struggling with making a choice on what I need to do as far as having the vertical sleeve done and where to go. I have been tossing up a surgeon in Canada (Dr.Michel Gagner for about $16,000) and 2 in Mexico. I have been approved by the Mexico Bariatric Center to have surgery with Dr.Roberto Cisneros. I could also see Dr.Ponce with WLS4BetterLife as well. I am a high risk patient and trying to make the choice. Both hospitals in Mexico are the same cost essentially, around $6,000.

I know cost shouldn't help factor in my decision, but my husband and I desperately want to buy a house soon so we can get out of where we are living. I know I could apply to have the surgery elsewhere in Canada and have it covered, but I am scared of being put on a waiting list and something bad happening (weight related, of course) while I'm waiting.

Can anyone give me some opinions here? If this isn't making sense I apologize, I'm running on next to no sleep.

BCwaiting
on 7/26/13 10:01 am - Canada
Several girls on this site have had surgery in Mexico and I know a few of them used Dr Ponce and have been more than happy with the overall stay and surgery. They all said the hospitals were very well equipped, professional and nicer and cleaner than any hospital in Winnipeg. And any one of them would do it over again and have no regrets...I am sure you will hear from a few of them respond themselves so they can tell you their own personal experiences. I had my surgery done here, But If I had to pay to go to Mexico with no wait times..I think I would do it. A more than pleased with my results,, have lost a 100 pounds and am much happier now. I think you will hear, it's not about the money anymore...what will money and a new house do if you cant or are not around to enjoy it ! Good luck, Barb C

referral April/2011 Weight 230 lbs.,orientation Nov 30/2011, surgeon Jan 4/2012, Psych Feb 2, Dietician March 15, physical Apr 12, Surgery VSG May 29/2012,
pre-op weight 180 lbs. ,         
megan1emma2lilly3
on 7/26/13 10:31 am - dartmouth, Canada

Hi,

I am from NS and have my consult with Dr Gagner September 18th, 2013. I understand that he takes people from Manitoba, as Quebec and your province have a billing agreement. You may want to check on that. I believe you would be covered. He is an outstanding Dr from my research.  I am in the process of going through MSI in Nova Scotia to have my surgery in Quebec with him. In Nova Scotia it is a 10 year weight list. Check his website just google his name.

Heather

Nicky1982
on 7/28/13 10:16 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

I haven't had a consult with him, but have checked him out. I really don't think I can afford to be on a waiting list for 10 years, and he's much more expensive of the two options. Don't get me wrong, I know it's worth the money to get your life back together, but I don't know if I can manage the costs. I haven't ruled him out! I would l will certainly look into it to see if maybe I can go to him if it's covered!

TeashaLorna
on 7/26/13 10:53 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Hi Nicky

I am a Dr Ponce patient. I am 57 years old and was 56 when I went to Mexico for VSG last June the 4th. I had been on the list in Wpg since Mar 2010; well not really on the list because my BMI was to high. I was 353 lbs and could not qualify. They kept my name for when the criteria opened up - I am still on the list and it has not opened up enough yet. However last May I took matters into my own hands and booked Dr. Ponce through Trish and WLS4BetterLife. At that point I had lost down to 295 lbs. I had worked out at the gym 5 days a week walking and do weight resistance since 2010 so I was reasonably comfortable that I was in ok shape for the surgery.  I even ran for a few mins at time and was increasing that. I was stuck at the 295 which helped me make the decision.  My trip from Wpg to San Deigo was great - WLS4 Life picked me up and took me to the clinic where I met all the Drs and nurses and the Dr Ponce team; they all made me feel very comfortable. They did all the prelim tests and by 4:30 that day I was in the operating room. The surgery went well and I was out of the hospital into a hotel two days later; so that was Monday Surgery Wednesday Hotel and I stayed an extra night and went shopping with Trish on Thurs and then home on Friday.

The surgery was great and not painful at all; gas was about the most pain and gasX worked well on that. The hospital in Mexico and the staff are amazing. The service way better than I have seen in the hospitals in Wpg. (My nephew was just in the St B for a month with a heart condition and he never got the kind of service I got) and the St B was dirty in comparison. I am down 125 lbs since surgery and am so happy I did it. I got my life back; actually I got a life because I have been obese my whole life and always fighting it.

I am now at the next step of my journey and starting to look into Plastic Surgeries; I have no doubt I will be back in Mexico with Trish at some point for those too.

Good Luck with your choice!  Lorna

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Nicky1982
on 7/28/13 10:21 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

Thank you for sharing that with me, Lorna! I am so happy to hear that everything has gone so well for you, and congrats on all you have accomplished to date! It makes me feel so much better to hear from real people that have gone to these doctors. It's a scary thought for me to go out of country to have surgery, and my family doctor really almost scared me out of considering it anymore the other day. Thank you so much for sharing! Good luck with your continued success with everything!

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/13 2:51 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

Do you not qualify for the program at Victoria General Hospital? They do the VSG and it is 100% covered by MB Health.

Nicky1982
on 7/28/13 10:12 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

No, my BMI is too high, I've been wait listed until they increase the criteria. I'm too scared of something happening to me to wait much longer.

its-killen-me
on 8/1/13 3:25 am - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

Hi there, I went to Dr. Ponce too.  I had the Duodenal switch procedure.  Everything went great, I too the same as Teesha had gas that was uncomfortable but no pain at all.  I wish I had taken the gas X strips (Rainyone had given me some) I was too afraid to take them.). The hospital was super clean and the staff was great.  I received better care there than I could have in Manitoba.  Seriously.   I would never have thought that possible, but its true.  I had my surgery a week after Teesha and am down 130 pounds. If you decide to go to Mexico, message me I will find you the cheapest flight. I am a travel agent (NO FEES) even if you cancel.  Barb.

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Most Active