New here - frustrated by wait times

Dilly69
on 9/5/13 5:56 am - Canada

Hi ,

I have been lurking on here for awhile.

I was referred by my doctor Jan 29th 2013, and received my approval letter in June. The office had my name spelt wrong so they couldn't find me in there system for awhile, but when I called the first time I was told that the wait would be about a year from my referral date - and then it would be a few months till my surgery. So I was really psyched to be having this surgery next summer.

Now they have found me in their system and I was talking to someone new there and I am being told its going to be at least 2 years. I am so depressed. I could handle the year, but TWO !!   Do they tell you its going to be longer so you don't get your hopes up, but it really is quicker? I notice alot of people on here who have already had the surgery only waited a little over a year from their referral dates.

I'm just very frustrated

SJC

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/13 8:55 am

welcome.they tell you that so you can prepare your self and take the steps that they ask you to do.i hate to be a downer but there are people on here who are still waiting and it has been 2 years.they are lots of people waiting for the surgery and the docs only do maybe 6 a week and now one of them is going on mat leave so it will slow down more until she come back.

atleast you got a quick approval that usually takes the longest from the consenses(sp)of the group

sondra aka newfie

Karenerickson
on 9/5/13 9:26 am - Portage La Prairie, Canada

If it makes you feel any better I was on the list for 3 years and 5 months before I got my orientation as I had to wait for the criteria to open up. Most woman I talked to at my orientation have been waiting about 18 months. I am waiting for my first visit to the surgeon in October and not sure how long I will wait for surgery as one of the surgeons in going on maternity leave and her husband(another surgeon) is taking a couple of weeks off as well.

You can phone and check with receptionist ocassionally on the wait but generally you won't hear from them until it is time for you orientation session.

Karen

33w33w
on 9/5/13 10:04 am

Hi ,  Again I say this is why a patient advocate is needed in this program, most of us can stand the waiting if we know what's happening.  This is a good example .. sitting blind, thinking ones referral was being looked at and due to a spelling mistake getting lost.  *sigh*  Though I guess we in Manitoba have it pretty good with only a 1-2 year wait....the maritimes are talking about a 10 year wait!!

Karenerickson
on 9/5/13 10:35 am - Portage La Prairie, Canada

I agree! I talked to Andrea right after my second visit to the clinic to ask about the date of my surgical referral. She told me it was mailed August 8th. When I had not received it after 10 days I called and found out it had been returned because the address was wrong. Which address did they use? Not the one on the forms for the bariatric clinic but what they had on file at St Boniface from 1999. Luckily I phoned and she sent the forms to the correct address.

My cousin who is on the same timeline as me never got her surgical consult date and finally phoned and was told by Andrea that they didn't have an address for her. Yet again the correct address was on the forms for the clinic.

I actually phoned Andrea today to make sure my preop forms arrived as the clinic in Portage la Prairie is notorious for not sending/losing stuff and happily everything had arrived.

So don't feel bad about phoning and checking. I also heard from people getting lab results that weren't theirs and one lady even got a guy's lab results. So we need to be on top of things for our own peace of mind.

Karen

saucyboss
on 9/9/13 4:10 am
When you say you phoned, which number are you calling? The number I have is 204-477-3540 and always seems to be forwarded to voicemail. I have left voicemails before and have never gotten them returned.

Dilly69
on 9/5/13 11:28 am - Canada

Thanks you guys,

It would be nice if there were updates every now and then. It just feels weird to be accepted but you won't hear anything for 1-2 years.

I was thrilled that I was accepted. I had convinced myself that I wouldn't be. I had no co-morbidity's  at the time of the referral (I have since found out that I have sleep apnea), so I had stressed myself out thinking this would affect my acceptance. I don't know why.

They didn't really tell me much when I called  - just to walk and follow the Canada Food Guide while I'm waiting.

Its nice to have people to talk to who are going through the same frustrating waiting :)

SJC

Most Active