long time no see!

J. t
on 11/21/13 2:06 am - Canada

i haven't been back here in some months, it's nice to see you all again

so i'm still on the waiting list in mb. it's been many months since i received my acceptance and i haven't heard a word since. i'm trying to lose some weight on my own - my highest BMI was 44.5, i'm almost down to 40 now. i figure that would make me healthier before surgery.

i am kind of wondering, if i get my BMI below 40 before surgery, will i still qualify? i don't know. i mean i don't want to disqualify myself because i think my success will be limited, but nor do i want to just give up and stay how i am because my health is improving.

i have no idea how long it will take to reach the next step and it's kind of frustrating. i have so many questions, but nobody to ask them to, what to expect on the manitoba program. will it be another year? will they disqualify me? will they be happy i lost weight on my own this last while? will they do the sleeve, cause i don't really want a RNY? i wi**** wasn't such a wait.

anyway that's where i'm at. i see some of you are getting further down on the BMI scale so congratulations!

referred nov 2012 accepted march 2013 orientation october 2014. sw: 287

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/13 2:11 am

Have you contacted the clinic to see whats happening with your acceptance.I would just remind them that you are waiting for information as to your next step.feel free to contact me if you have any question.i tell everyone on here that i am here to help as best i can

Sondra aka Newfie 

BCwaiting
on 11/21/13 5:19 am - Canada
I lost a lot of weight on my own prior to surgery also. I originally had a BMI of 46. My doctor would not do a referral until I lost weight as the criteria then was it must be under 47 BMI and she was afraid if I gained more weight I would not be eligible anyways, so I joined the YMCA and started my journey. I lost 20 pounds over the year and she then did my referral. I was only 220 pounds when I saw the surgeon but my BMI was still 41 (short, only 5'1). I continued to loose weight on my own right up until I had my surgery a year later. By surgery date I was down to 185 pounds and my BMI as now only 34, BUT the still did the surgery. I had the Sleeve. Today, am now 133 pounds with a BMI of 25 Normal and could not be happier. I tried to get a bit lower but have actually regained about 4 pounds since September, so I now need to start exercising more to loose it again or at least maintain. SO, keep a journal of your progress, I liked MY Fitness Pal, it is a great app. When you see the surgeon, take it with you. I think they will be more than pleased that you are committed But still need that
extra help to get to goal and help keep it off for good. That was my problem..I lost hundreds of times! but could never keep it off and always regained it. I don't think they will penalize you for making a last honest effort. keep up the good work and good luck,
Barb C

referral April/2011 Weight 230 lbs.,orientation Nov 30/2011, surgeon Jan 4/2012, Psych Feb 2, Dietician March 15, physical Apr 12, Surgery VSG May 29/2012,
pre-op weight 180 lbs. ,         
J. t
on 11/21/13 5:56 am - Canada

i hope they view it the same way! right now my BMI is just over 40 and i don't know how low i can get it on my own, i do think i need surgical help. i'm a chronic yo-yo dieter. i really hope the fact that i'm changing my habits now will get me a check in the plus column :)

where did you have the sleeve done? i'm hoping for the sleeve too.

Karenerickson
on 11/21/13 11:38 am - Portage La Prairie, Canada

Good job on all the changes you have done. It will definetely show your commitment to wanting to change your life. I hope you hear from the clinic soon.

I too lost weight before surgery and took my BMI from 56 to 49. Although it didn't speed up the process, it was all worth it when Dr. Andrews came to see me after surgery and said all my hard work made his job that much easier. That was my reward!

Karen

J. t
on 11/21/13 3:44 pm - Canada

wow, that's a huge preop loss! good for you!

Most Active