8 weeks after RNY and feeling wonderful!

Kathy B.
on 6/17/11 5:33 am - ME
Hi,

Just wanted to check in. My RNY was at MMC April 27th. I am doing really great!  No complications other than anesthesia yukiness. The first week or two I felt weak and tired but after than I felt better quickly and went back to work at 2 weeks. 

I am learning to slow down and eat small bites, still!   I do ocassionaly get stuck, but it usually goes down eventually.  I have lots of energy and I am already off my high blood pressure medication.  I am rarely hungry and its a different milder kind of hunger than I had before. I was ALWAYS hungry!!  I am eating all food types now.  I do dump though and that is not fun!

I have quite a few videos on You tube about my WLS. You can go to You Tube and search itsallaboutkathy or google itsallaboutkathy and they will come up!

Best wishes and good success to my fellow Mainers!
Kathy

DavidReed
on 6/19/11 10:01 am
Good news Kathy!  Glad to hear it is going well for you!  I didn't know MMC did RNY!  :-)  How were your pre-op experiences?  What was the ramp-up program prior to surgery like?

Best Regards,

-David
"Hello, my name is David, and I am a nutritional over-achiever..."

Kathy B.
on 6/19/11 10:22 am - ME
Hi David,

The program is Maine Bariatric Program and it is run by MMC in conjunction with Casco Bay Surgery.  I started with a seminar in late December, followed by referral letter from PCP, nutritional classes, psch eval, barium swallow test ( because I was originally going to have lap band, but changed my mind.) meeting with dietician, the surgeon appointment and insurance approval. I blasted through the program in 4 months because I was persistent and drove them crazy so they would keep the ball rolling. Its a good program but honestly, they are so busy that it made it difficult to get them to respond quickly on some of the follow-through. BUT, I also was not very patient.  The post-op care with the NUT and nurses has been really great! 

Wow!  You have taken off some major weight! Congrats!!!!!

Kathy

DavidReed
on 6/19/11 10:29 am
Hi Kathy,

Thanks!  I took a very long time going through the SW program at EMMC, part of which was deliberate.  I wanted to lose as much weight as possible before surgery.  Also, my wife had surgery a few months before me (part of the delay was so that I could help her along after her surgery, and she would be fully recovered to help me when I had mine), and part because early-on in my program, I had a liver-cancer scare which put everything on hold for about 8-9 months until I was cleared by the EMMC surgeon to continue.  Since I had so much time, I was able to lose 75lbs before surgery, and about 65 since (March 3rd).

Have you had some great "little" experiences since your surgery?  Finding you fit in a booth, have to get rid of some clothes, seen a new picture of yourself and not recognize yourself at first, anything like that???

-David
"Hello, my name is David, and I am a nutritional over-achiever..."

Bkritty
on 6/19/11 11:17 am
Hi Kathy! Thanks for your Post! Sounds like you have had a relatively good experience so far! I have surgery at EMMC a week from tomorrow! I can't wait to be on the loser's bench with you all! Keep in touch!

Kristie

Most Active