10+ years out -

Darla S.
on 10/23/17 12:41 pm - Maple Grove, MN

This MN group used to be so incredibly active! There were days when there were upwards of 40 new posts, and all had many replies. It looks like those days are long gone, which is sad.

I had my Roux-N-Y in April of 2007. My top weight was 377 (I'm 5'11"). My lowest weight was 209, I've been hovering around 225 for years now. Never did break through to 'Onederland", but I'm okay with that. I look NORMAL now, people tell me they'd have never guessed I'd had a weight problem! And when I was down in that 210 range, people would tell me I didn't look well. Numbers are just numbers. My size hasn't changed in years, 90% of the meds I used to have to take went away 9+ years ago. I always used to say I'd have the surgery annually if that's what it took to be successful, and I still would ~ but I'm glad I haven't had to! My tool still works when I pay attention to it.

Anyway, any of you 'newbies' on here - congrats! Respect your tool, and it'll do what you ask of it!

~Darla

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

TERI R
on 12/29/17 10:02 am - Brooklyn Park, MN

Howdy there Darla. I remember you and how active this board used to be. I also hardly ever check back on it, but whenever I do I am shocked by how little chatter is going on. Wonder if the medical establishments are no longer listing this board as a resource.

Hope all is well with you. Happy holidays.

Gina J.
on 11/17/18 10:51 pm - Apple Valley, MN

Darla ,

I had my RNY in January 2000. I think I even remember you , although I was less active on the group by then . I remember Holly the group mom who started it all and tons - no pun intended - of other folks from back in my olden days .I have kept off 100 LBS. (Start 278, DOS 268, now 168) so still a sucess, I guess . It's been a battle over 18 years with many drugs causing weight gain , bouts of depression , deaths in my family , several brain and other surgeries, etc . You know, life . I would do it again , it saved my life. I had four brain surgeries in six months and I never would have been able to physically go through those at 268 LBS .

It is a tool and I still struggle with emotional eating and food obsession but one day at a time. I have the most incredible husband who has been by my side this whole crazy journey.

For any. Newbies, this is Not the "easy" way out. It is the hardest thing I have ever done . There are foods I simply cannot eat , I have developed a jackhammer esophagus and have struggled with vomiting for 18 years . Finally am on medication that has decreased it by 85% and the intensity by 90%.. I would do it again, knowing all of this . I stand here today at 54, when pre-pre-surgery , at 34, I didn't think I would make it to 40. I am a blessed miracle

Let this tool work with you so you too , like Darla and I can be not perfect , but miracles all the same.

Best hugs,

Ginastringbean

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1370 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1143 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2614 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2696 views