Question for the Nurses out there

cotonmom2
on 8/24/07 12:35 pm - Wichita , KS
I have a question for you nurses out there.  I have these red spots on my calfs close to my feet and they won't go away.  I was wondering if those spots and the fact that they won't go away has anything to do with diabetes?  Have you seen this before in diabetics?  Just curious....

Brenda Minks
on 8/24/07 1:00 pm - Silva, MO

Hi Bev,

I'm not a nurse but my daughter is.

My husband is a real bad diabetic and he has some pretty big red patches  above his ankles on his lower leg. My daughter and my husbands doctor said it is Diabetic Neuropathy. You might want to show it to your PCP. Brenda

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So love the people who treat you right..
Forget about the one's who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason. 
If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.

If it changes your life, let it. 
Nobody said life would be easy,

they just promised it would be worth it.

Jan C.
on 8/24/07 1:10 pm - Cedar Creek, MO

yes i agree with Brenda,and i am a nurse. Once you have surgery and lose weight they may go away at least we hope they will. Be sure and show your PC the areas. ok?  Love you Jan

http://community.webshots.com/user/mimicook?vhost=community

GOD BLESS YOU TODAY
JAN COOK

mecoswan
on 8/24/07 10:35 pm - Concordia, MO
Bev,   I agree with Brenda.  Tell your PCP.  I have seen many lower legs with red patches, and also purple areas .  My husband has very poor circulation so his legs are even a dark brownish, purple color.  But he has vesous insufficiency, is diabetic and also has neuropathy.  It is always best to talk to your physician.  See you Monday.  Colette
DeniseRn06
on 8/25/07 12:24 am - Somewhere in the Midst of, MO
Nurse here too. I was thinking more Venous Insufficiency, but Diabetes could also be an issue. People also that have had a history of Cellulitis in their lower legs ( infection in the tissue) have the reddish patches. Show them to the dr. and see what he thinks. He may order a Doppler study to see how the blood is flowing through his lower extremities. Good luck and I hope it's nothing major. Denise
RNY 06/01/2007
350/334/245/160
Highest/Surgery weight/current/goal Total Loss Thus Far: 105#
4-5 clothes sizes gone
"Good Things Come To Those Who Wait!!"
cotonmom2
on 8/26/07 2:29 am - Wichita , KS
I just wanted to say thanks to all of you that have posted to my question you have been very helpful and informative.  I guess I will have to go back to my PCP and show her and see what she thinks these spots are.  I have pre-diabetes and was just wondering if the spots could be related to diabetes?  My sugar levels have been high recently so that's what made me concerned.  Thanks again for everything.

Most Active
Recent Topics