Panniculectomy (apron removal)

marymother
on 2/26/10 8:39 pm - saint john, Canada
I was unsure about what the difference between a panniculectomy and a tummy tuck was so I looked it up. Here is what I have found:

In a penniculectomy only the skin and fat tissue is removed. It is considered a true health issue and is therefore covered by insurance or here medicare if it is causing problems.  It is not considered cosmetic surgery since they only remove the hanging tissue and sew the skin back together. They will not touch the area around or near the umbilicus (belly button) so everything is done below the navel. They will not touch the 4 sets of abdominal muscles either. It is strictly skin and fat removal.

In a tummy tuck it is much more involved and complicatede. You also get much better flattened results with a true tummy tuck. There they remove the skin and fat but the difference is they will also cut the 4 sets of muscle tissue and tighten it up. They will also remove all of excess skin and sometimes even make a new belly button hole. The tummy tuck is much more painful and recovery time is longer due to them cutting muscle tissue. 

The down side to having a panni and not a tummy tuck I guess is you will still have the old sagging stomach. Just the apron is removed. In my case though that will help considerably. I was enlightened to know about this because I was thinking "a tummy tuck" too but I guess not. Oh well, I guess I will get one of these when I win that bloody lottery. LOL 

Right now my pants have to be size xlarge just to accomade the apron hanging in front of me. They bag off of my legs and my bum is nonexistant in my pants and still they are tight around my belly. LOL
Higest weight       305 
weight surgery day  Feb 12 2009    251
Current weight     174    
First goal         199   Onederland ( Reached goal Aug 8 @ 198lbs)
Second goal   193    Century Club  ( Reached on Aug 30 2009 )
Third  goal      180 pounds  ( Reached on Nov.23 2009 ) (my personal goal)
Final goal      170 pounds  ( reached Jan 5 2011) ( only stayed that weight breifly)

I'm still maggie from the grove

maggielsmallcard.gif picture by lynnca1972     I LOVE MY RNY !!!

2 years down, a lifetime to go!!!!

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE,  NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1047 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1903 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1755 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views