Going out of province for surgery

RiverbankPrincess
on 11/12/14 9:37 am - Canada

Just wondering if anyone on this forum lives in NB, but had their surgery out of province?

I am seriously looking to have WLS, but as anyone on this forum is well aware, the wait times are crazy.

I have been searching the web, and it appears that the Weight Loss Surgery Clinic (Dr Christou) in Quebec, may be the closest place to travel.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has left our province for surgery, I am considering Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass.

Mary C.
on 11/14/14 1:41 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi there - chiming in from Newfoundland. My husband went to Dr. Joya in Peurto Vallarta in May if last year for a VSG. Excellent experience and he has done well. We self payed and it was worth every penney. I have seen posts from people here on the NB board who have gone to Dr. Christou. He has an excellent reputation and if memory serves me right - was involved in Dr. Beauoliel's training. Have not seen any postings in a long time though. Try looking at the Quebec board.  This is a link to Dr. Christou's website. Best of luck to you!  www.weightlosssurgery.ca

Mary

RiverbankPrincess
on 11/14/14 10:47 am - Canada

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for responding!  I have spoken to Dr Christou's office yesterday, and obtained the cost...whew!! $19,500 + flights and hotel.

I am now doing my research on Mexico, so I was very pleased to get you message indicating that you husband had such a wonderful experience. How long did he have to wait after his initial contact with the Doctor? Did you use a medical travel agent?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I mentioned above, I'm doing my research.

Thank you, Faith

Mary C.
on 11/16/14 1:46 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi Faith - I sent you a private  message here on OH.

Mary

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/14 5:57 am - Oromocto, Canada

A friend of mine had her surgery in Ontario. She got Medicare to cover the cost of the surgery and only had to pay for the flights there, the dietician and psychologist appt and her hotels when she was there. And she only waited about six months to get in for the surgery. 

RiverbankPrincess
on 11/20/14 6:12 am - Canada

Hi rykat, Thanks for your reply. From what I understand we still have to go through the process of being on the waiting list, and jump through the hoops of getting approved...this can take quite a while...How long did your friend wait to have the province say they would pay for her to go to Ontario?

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/14 7:07 am - Oromocto, Canada

I didn't think it as that long less than a year for sure. I asked her but I think she is mad at me now. I didnt realize she was so private that she didn't want me to mention her story at all, even as anonymously as i did.  

RiverbankPrincess
on 11/20/14 7:14 am - Canada

No worries, its a sensitive subject for some....I'm pretty sure I'm going to Mexico to be sleeved. After researching it to death, I feel confident that it will be fine. I had originally figured I'd go in April, but after deciding that I'm doing it, I really want to go right away. I'm just worried about flights getting cancelled due to snow storms this time of year....Do you know anyone that has gone to Mexico for their surgery??

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/14 7:17 am - Oromocto, Canada

Yes there is actually a fredericton support group and most of them have gone there. I think there are about fifteen of them. 

RiverbankPrincess
on 11/20/14 7:21 am - Canada

Oh really, are they on Obesity Help? May I ask, have you had surgery as well?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1071 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1931 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1781 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1778 views