Nervous, Scared and Anxious but DETERMINED!!!

Ellie333
on 1/27/15 6:17 am - Canada

Well I met with Monique and Rhinette in Moncton yesterday, had chest x-ray, blood work, electrocardiogram, shakes/bars ordered (start shakes on Feb 4...yikes).  I go back on Feb. 10 to get weighed (to check weight 1 week into 2 week shake diet) and have the MRSA test.  The ball has certainly started to roll!  I go from calm to crazy at the drop of a hat.  I am trying to just take things one step at a time and right now I am trying to concentrate on the 2 weeks of shakes.  Any advice would be appreciated from all who have gone through this stage and came out the other side sane, haha.  Also I work in a Food and Nutrition Service department complete with scratch bakery non the less, any suggestions (besides quit my job:).

canucksjnb
on 1/27/15 2:54 pm - Canada

Congratulations on the next step of your journey.  I was in your position just over a month ago.  As for the two weeks of shakes, it was not my favourite memory, but it was a necessary step in the process.  I bought mostly chocolate and some vanilla shakes.  I mixed them with ice and ran then through the blender.  The taste isn't bad, and the consistency is like a smoothie.  My fave was the caramel nut protein bars.  You're allowed two per day in addition to your three shakes.   I saved the protein bars for the evening, and that helped a lot.  Giving up pop has been my biggest struggle.  Even though I only drank diet 7up, its still a no-no because of the carbonation.   As for the surgery itself, it was not a bad experience at all.  From the moment I checked in until the moment I was released, I was fortunate to encounter only the best of staff.  I was in the ICU for the night after my surgery and the staff there were absolutely amazing.  And an added bonus was a complimentary flat screen tv in the room!!!!  Post surgical pain was minimal.  They awoke me immediately following the procedure and I was alert and chatting as I was being wheeled to the recovery room.  My advice is to pick up some stool softeners and use them regularly.  With the pain killers, and so little going in, its important to keep things "going".  My lack of post surgical appetite has been surprising.  I needed to remind myself to eat!  And I thought I'd be climbing the walls with hunger.   Anyhow, again,  wish you all the best.  Peter

TerryDraded
on 2/5/15 11:28 am

Peter, did you have the sleeve? How are you feeling now? 

canucksjnb
on 2/5/15 9:56 pm - Canada

Hi Terry.  Yes, I had the sleeve on Jan 13.  The whole experience has been rather pleasant.  I'm not really enjoying the pureed stage.  I think its because of the consistency of everything.  Lime greek yogurt and milk are helping me with protein intake.  I switch to solid foods next Thursday and CANNOT wait.  I'm dreaming of a salad with grilled chicken and vinaigrette dressing!.   I had my first follow up appointment yesterday and had the staples removed.  Completely painless!  And I was shocked to see that I've lost 53lbs since my pre surgery weigh in.  That's a total of 68lbs since I started on the shake diet.  I'm sure weight loss will slow down, but I'm very pleased with things so far, and the team at G Dumont is awesome   Peter 

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/15 9:22 pm - Oromocto, Canada

Hey Ellie!  Glad to see you finally got your date after waiting so long!  I have a canteen where I work that I ate at a lot before surgery.  now I find that the same things don't tempt me.  It doesn't feel so good to eat those things you craved before, so the mind balks at those foods after.  And if you do slip and eat something they don't recommend, don't worry, it's not the end of the world, just pick up and carry on.  But as long as you don't slip back into old habits...I don't worry when I have something not so healthy for me.  That is life...

JJ3434
on 1/29/15 12:36 am - Canada

I'm Nervous and excited for you!!! This is going to be such a crazy but awesome experience for you. Keep us updated!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/15 7:13 am - Oromocto, Canada

I'm thinking about you while you start your shakes. Be all over soon!  And you'll be losing too!

TerryDraded
on 2/5/15 11:27 am

Hi there....it looks like I am just a bit ahead of you. I am on day 7 of pre-op diet and scheduled for surgery with Dr Beau-Soleil on Feb 13! I am super excited! 

I bought the the bars and the shakes and they are o****ep focusing on the end result and that is what is getting me through. I have lost about 10 pounds so far. I am not sure where you are but I would love to keep in touch! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1049 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1903 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1755 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views