HI EVERYONE, SURGERY IS OVER!!

Ellie333
on 2/20/15 5:09 am - Canada

I am back home after an extra day in the hospital.  Apparently dalaudid (spelled wrong, it is a pain killer) kicked my ass big time.  The surgery went well and thank God my liver shrunk to what it should have been because it made the surgery much better.  Please everyone out there, this might be the single most important thing to remember.  Everyone at the George Doumont Hospital in Moncton were unbelievably kind.  When I kissed by hubby outside the OR I broke down and started to cry because I was sooo emotional.  The doors to the OR opened and over came this very kind young man with tissues and kind words.  Everyone from the doctor, nurses, anastheoligist (again my spelling), porters and clerks were so gentle and kind.  When I had to go to the ICU after surgery because of my diabetes the staff could not do enough for me and my husband, my entire experience was one of caring and kindness.  I am very happy to be home and I kind of feel like crap right now but every day I feel better than the day before.  If any veterans out there have any advise and wisdom they would like to give I would certainly appreciate it.

Love to All

Ellie

karasmom
on 2/20/15 5:24 am

Congrats!  So glad to hear everything went well and that you are home.  You have been on my mind.

Just wanted to share that my experience at the Bathurst hospital was similar to yours in Moncton.  The last thing I remember before I was out was a kind lady rubbing my arm and wiping my tears.  Post op, the nursing staff was kind, caring and attentive.  There were hugs all around when I left and I am anxious to go visit them when I am there for my first post op check.

My biggest tip would be to not be afraid to use your pain meds.  You have them for a reason :)

welcome to the losers bench!  We are here if you have any questions!

kim_pei
on 2/20/15 5:54 am - Canada

So glad to hear from you!  Glad everything is going well and you did it!!!!!!!!@

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/15 6:39 am - Oromocto, Canada

Glad you are finally here Ellie!!  I felt kind of yucky for a few days, but once the "air" pain went away, this got better quickly.  It is now a matter of going through the next month of eating differently and then you are in the home stretch!  My air came out the first night I was home, after two nights in the hospital.  I didn't notice it because it happened while I slept.  But in the morning I noticed a huge difference.  If you would like a visit, send me a message.  Sometimes having someone who knows exactly what you are going through is a comfort...:)

Ellie333
on 2/20/15 8:23 am - Canada

Hey Kat, I feel kind of crappy right now.  When I swallow my liquids (and I am taking small sips) it feels like burps are stuck in my asaphagus and it seems to hurt right at the spot where I think my new stomach starts.  I mentioned it to the doctor and he said that it would be like that for a few days.  Did you have anything like that??

bigchris
on 2/20/15 6:50 pm - Canada

I had that problem it just swelling it went away in a couple of days glad every went well and a speedy recovery

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/15 11:25 pm - Oromocto, Canada

I think Chris is right about the swelling.  The liquid is just getting trapped and having to take more time getting through the smaller opening.  I think the burp feeling might be pressure from the liquid. I find that small sips cause you to swallow air.  Over time as the healing went on, I find it easier to swallow normally.  Not at the beginning of course.  You will find as you start eating that you are always burping.  This is normal for me now.  I don't get how to eat or drink without the air, so I just burp after.  I think the family is used to it now.  Of course, the team will say to eat slower, or let the drink stay in my mouth longer...etc, but however I eat and drink, this happens.  You kind of work that stuff out as you go along.  I'm trying to remember the very early days.  I was so worried and took everything carefully.  It will work out.  Just keep track of how you feel.  If anything feels worse or a lot more pain, call Moncton.  I was back in Moncton a week after my surgery worried about leaking.  I had sharp pains just above the stomach (or so it felt) but in front and back.  I had a leak test that turned out normal.  They said it was just the bile irritating my stomach and gave me a Rx for something to coat the stomach.  There is a lot of healing going on, even if you don't really feel pain in the stomach. 

Medic586
on 3/4/15 10:47 am
Hi Ellie, I have the samething and i had that since the surgery nov 6 and they can not find anything wrong. I hope for you i will get better soon.
Ellie333
on 2/20/15 9:48 pm - Canada

Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words, you are all very kind.

Ellie

JJ3434
on 2/23/15 4:34 am - Canada

I'm glad everything went well Ellie. It's wonderful to hear how amazing the team is and it's encouraging to know we will get the utmost care when it's our turn. I hope your recovery is fast, painless as possible and I look forward to hearing about your successes!!!

Congrats girl!

Jana

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1050 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1905 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1757 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1755 views