1 925 Days Later, I Had My First Appointment

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/15 12:55 pm, edited 7/22/15 5:57 am
VSG on 11/18/15

I went to the clinic in Bathurst rather early this morning and had my first meeting. I spoke with the dietician, the nurse and the psychologist.  

Firstly, a lot of people here have commented on how nice the staff are in Bathurst and this is not an exaggeration. They were all delightful. 

Based on the conversation today I am extremely hopeful about going forward with the gastric sleeve. I had done a pile of research, so I didn’t have a lot of questions. To anyone who has not yet had their meeting, it is fair to say that knowing your stuff and being as plainly honest as possible will only help you in the process.

I have more information than I did and while I don’t have a timeline yet, I have to say that while I am a bit impatient, I know that the process is underway. For me, that is more important – I can tolerate a wait if I know that the machine is working. Having met with the staff and discussed the process, I know that the system has begun and the time know will be relatively short – after all, I waited five years to get to today. 

It was suggested that I could choose to go with Dr. Semerjian since his wait list is slightly shorter. Anyone here have any experience with (I am presuming…) him? 

Thanks to everyone who has read and replied to my earlier post – you don’t know how much that helps.

maggie9247
on 7/18/15 6:46 am - Miramichi, Canada

Well I can honestly say I do know how you feel. It was almost 5 years for myself also before I had my surgery. But in that regard, since I got my first call to go to Bathurst till I had my surgery, it went by very rapidly. I went for my first visit in the middle of July and by November I had my surgery with Dr. Semerjian. And I got to say he was wonderful. I wish they had more doctors like him , and his team. The Bathurst staff were all wonderful. And even as you go back for your check-ups they are still very helpful .

I know the wait is a killer but after you have your surgery you will look back and realize how fast it went by. Good luck in the future, keep me posted

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/15 7:17 am
VSG on 11/18/15

That's excellent to hear, thank you.

cathy2120
on 7/20/15 4:53 pm - Canada
VSG on 11/18/15

how many appointments are there? I went to the dietitian/nurse/psych appointment and tomorrow I go see the doctor...so how many more? thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/15 2:17 am, edited 7/21/15 2:17 am
VSG on 11/18/15

As I answer this, please keep in mind that you sound slightly further ahead than I am.

I have had my initial appointment and spoke to the dietician, the psychologist and the nurse. After this I will meet the surgeon,  but I don't yet have an appointment for this. 

After that there is an information session,  bloodwork and then the pre - op meeting. I would also assume that there would be additional meetings if needed and if there were any complications. 

Maybe someone with more expertise could chime in? 

cathy2120
on 7/22/15 5:10 am - Canada
VSG on 11/18/15

I saw Dr Semerjan yesterday and I signed the papers.  He told me I had the course and bloodwork to do, the course has been scheduled for August 17...whoohoo....so excited. Also if the anasthologist (not sure how to spell sorry...lol) wants to meet me but the dr said he didn't think I would have to since my health was so good.

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/15 5:47 am
VSG on 11/18/15

I received a call very shortly after writing that post yesterday. I have my appointment to see the surgeon at which point I assume I will go through the same process. Apparently they had meant to give me the appointment when I was there the first time, but we got our wires crossed.

They told me, similar to you, that I am in "relatively" good health for a VSG patient and so things might go a little more quickly.

The hospital or the health authority will then schedule the blood work and presumably the surgery as well. It is amazing to me that after waiting patiently for five years without a peep I am now going out of my friggin' mind over a much, much shorter wait.

cathy2120
on 7/22/15 5:50 am - Canada
VSG on 11/18/15

when I went to my first appt they told me i'd get a letter in the mail for my second appt.  so appt 1 was May 20 and appt 2 was July 21.  Class on Aug 17...and it still not quick enough for me...lol  I could have done it all day 1...lol  so excited such a long wait since 2011...dunno about the bloodwork but it will be in Moncton.  where are you located?

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/15 5:56 am
VSG on 11/18/15

I'm in Miramichi. They asked me if I wanted my blood work in Miramichi or Bathurst. I asked them for whichever is quicker, so they're going to let me know.

I know I wrote this before, but the staff in Bathurst is really, really good.

cathy2120
on 7/22/15 9:06 am - Canada
VSG on 11/18/15

I agree...I really like them.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1047 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1903 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1755 views