1 Month Post Op

Jen J.
on 8/24/15 7:09 am - Canada

Hello all...I had my VSG surgery on July 24 and I thought I would share my experience.  From October 3rd 2014 when I signed my consent forms I gained 18 pounds which meant I had to do the shakes for 3 weeks instead of 2...it was not easy and I stressed so much that my liver wasn't going to shrink that I almost gave myself an ulcer.  Thank God it did and Dr. B completed my surgery.

I spent 2 nights in the hospital. I live in PEI and when I woke up the first morning after I knew there was no way I was going to be able to go home. My hospital experience wasn't the best.  I had to ask them for my meds, I had to remind them not to move my tray (with my water and my in case I threw up tray) which they did over and over...it just made it more difficult rather than easier.

Once I returned home I did really well.  It was amazing actually...I stopped taking my pain meds on the 4th day and was out going for drives and returned to my camper to stay for the remainder of my recovery.

I found the mixed liquids stage to be the hardest.  All I wanted to do was chew something lol after almost 5 weeks of liquids all I could think about was crunching something. 

Learning to eat slowly, and chew more and take smaller bites takes work.  We really do have to retrain the way we eat. 

All in all I am back to work today down 45 pounds since the weigh in before the surgery.

HW: 349 (July 2, 2015) Height: 5'3", Birthdate: March 19, 1974

VSG: July 24, 2015 Moncton, NB Canada -- Dr. Sylvain Beausoleil

CW: 194lbs, goal: 155lbs

NadiaO
on 8/24/15 6:20 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I haven't weighed in since April and I suspect I have gained a few pounds as well.. I start my shakes next Monday with surgery on the 14th.   Glad things went well for you - keep us posted :) Wish me LUCK !!!!!!!

kim_pei
on 8/29/15 2:26 am - Canada

welcome to the bench Jen!  I had mine done May 26th.  The hospital sucked for me too.  I know what you mean.  I am 3 months out and down 68 lbs already...feels great!  Best of luck!

Kim

cathy2120
on 8/29/15 7:43 am - Canada
VSG on 11/18/15

hey, how long were you off from work?  thanks.

kim_pei
on 9/23/15 11:57 pm - Canada

Hi sorry i didnt see this...I had an RNy and  was off 3 months...I really needed it as I had a few unexpected complications from surgery...nothing that could be predicted but healed well.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1049 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1903 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1755 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views