Don't assume with your referral

Megall
on 12/9/15 6:01 pm - Canada

Hi everyone, I just wanted to post something I've been thinking about since reading the thread about the wait list time for surgery in NB.

When you asked your doctor to put your name on "the list" did s/he tell you which doctors they were going to refer you to?

When I went to see my doctor to be put on "the list" (November 13, 2014) I told him I wanted to be on both the list for Beausoleil in Moncton, and for Boisvert in Fredericton (where I live)  Boisvert?  My doctor wasn't even aware at the time that there was anyone in the Fredericton area performing the sleeve.  Thank goodness I had done my research before hand about surgeons in NB and was able to tell him where I wanted to go.

I've been on "the list" for JUST over a year now, and have already been contacted by Boisvert's office.  I've been through the information packet, and returned the patient assessment forms.  Currently I am tracking my food waiting to see the nutritionist and have some blood work done.  From the sounds of it, from talking with his staff, it sounds like I will be done sometime next year in 2016.  

I guess what I'm saying is that things are moving MUCH more quickly for me than I anticipated (I was told to expect to wait between 4 and 7 years) so don't just assume that your doctor put you on every list.  If you are near to Fredericton, go and ask to be put on the list for Dr. Boisvert, if you aren't already.  You just never know what might happen.

cathy2120
on 1/19/16 8:24 am - Canada
VSG on 11/18/15

Also there is one in Bathurst and it's actually a clinic of bariatrics.  Their wait list is a lot shorter, i was on all list and took my name off the list after my surgery.  

Megall
on 1/19/16 8:57 am - Canada

I've had my blood work done, and my first appointment with the dietitian is done, I go back to see her again next week.  After that I meet with Boisvert and hopefully get a date soon.  I am at the top of his list, I am the next patient of his to be sleeved.  In less than a year and a half and I am at the top... I am anticipating that it will be probably sometime this spring.

I can't wait to buy a new winter coat for next year :)

crishna76
on 5/2/16 9:17 am
VSG on 03/14/16

Hey Megall,

Just wondering how you made out if you have had your surgery as of yet and how you are making out?

Megall
on 5/2/16 5:59 pm - Canada

My surgery date is Monday, May 9th :)  I'm not there yet, but super close!  I'm currently on the liquid diet and sipping chicken broth as we speak.  I'm a little bit moody because I'm hungry, but I'm also determined to make it through.  Dr. Boisvert said that one week liquid diet was mandatory, two was better, so I'm going for the two.  This time next week I'll be done, and hopefully preparing to go home the next morning.

crishna76
on 5/3/16 5:11 am
VSG on 03/14/16

Mine is May 12th Im going through the same stuff you are on day 2 of liquids and I have a massive head ache.... try making a smoothy with Greek yogurt you may find you really enjoy that also you may want to try going to the Northside market and seeing what the soup boy has  for soup... its all pureed for you.

https://m.facebook.com/The-Soup-Boy-613387368787070/

Hes Great and very accommodating...no sugars added or sodium.

Megall
on 5/4/16 2:15 pm - Canada

I've been avoiding the markets because I didn't think there was anything there for me to eat right now, and I didn't want to be tempted.   Thank you for telling me about this place!  

brodyceno
on 1/31/16 5:12 pm

Just wondering, do you have any serious medical conditions in.  Diabetes, etc? I've read that Dr Boisvert picks and chooses his patients based on health issues, age, etc.  His admin told me last month the wait was 5-7 years.  I was referred a few months ago, but because I have yet to develop any serious medical conditions (other than back pain, and poor circulation), and the fact that I'm only 25 will have me at the bottom of his list.    Does anyone have any experience with this?

Megall
on 1/31/16 5:36 pm - Canada

I just turned 37 this month, and have been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes.  I got the diagnosis about 7 years ago, but have never been on medication for it. I'm controlling it through diet and exercise.  I also have arthritis in my left ankle from an injury (broken in 3 places) 20 years ago.  My weight is increasing the pain and pressure on this joint, making things like going for walks quite difficult.

I didn't know that Boisvert picks and chooses his patients, I hadn't heard that.  If that's the case then I am very grateful that he chose me, and I hope you get your turn soon!

I've had both my appointments with the dietitian now, I had my GI scope almost a year ago. Next step is meeting Boisvert and moving forward from there.  I'm hoping I'll be in an out this spring.

Jamie86
on 2/9/16 6:44 am - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

Yup I have heard from many that he picks and chooses his patients and he will move a patient a head if they are working hard and trying. 

My husband is actually going though the process right now it sounds like you are almost exactly at the same spot. He is doing his 2 week diet next week before seeing Dr boisvert 

Have you done the prep 2 week full fluid diet yet? Just remember that Dr boisverts diet is way better then the boost LOL even tho he makes you do it twice. The first 3 days suck.. not gonna lie... especially since the end goal is not surgery this first time. but after that you kind of find a groove, I recommend that when you start your first one you start on a Thursday or a Friday (if you work monday to friday) so that day 3 where you are having a pity party for your self your at home and can sleep though some of it. The next time you do it, its spo much easier because you know what your doing and you know your end goal is surgery! 

And just so you know, He is kind of scary the first time you meet him in the office. He comes off as cold, but I think he does it so you dont feel comfortable and that you are not easily discouraged, a friend of mine that also had the surgery done by him told me. Just remember the first time you see him remember hes not there to be your friend hes there to make sure you are making the right choice for you. You need to make sure he understands that YOU are ready to make this change and understand the pro's outweigh the con's. After the surgery and for all my follow ups he has been very very great, super nice. Very chatty and what not. Very great guy. I highly recommend him.  

Good Luck!

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1055 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1908 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1761 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1758 views