3 weeks post op. The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly. Mostly Good :)

Megall
on 5/31/16 11:08 am - Canada

Just thought I'd post an update for anyone who was interested!

I am now three weeks post op, and honestly, I am feeling great.  Every day it gets easier to get in my protein and water, and I'm getting my activity in most days as well.  I'm still on the full fluids diet, so I've been having a lot of cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and strained cream soups.  I was really excited last night when I went shopping at the Two Nations Crossing walmart because they had Boost Juice there!  Not the shakes that come in just vanilla/chocolate/strawberry, but the juice that I had while in the hospital.  I picked up a pack of 6 juice boxes and am excited to have different flavours to add to my diet.  

I'm not going to lie though, the diet does become quite tedious.  I have to follow full fluids for 4 weeks post op, then the next 4 weeks are spent on pureed and soft foods.  After that if all goes well I will be cleared for regular food.  I've only had two days that were really tough where I wanted to throw a tantrum while my family was having a delicious smelling dinner.  It all comes down to head hunger, and my food addiction.  It's not always easy to deal with, and in the past this is where I would have failed on any other diet.  I'd have given in to my cravings and that would have started the snowball back into old habits.  This time it's different.  I can't give in because I would risk injuring myself, and if I injure myself I run the risk of needing additional surgery to repair any damage that might have been done.  So... this time round it is easier to stick to what I am supposed to be doing, and fight through the tough times.  Failure this time is not an option.  

I am pleased to say that after spending most of my adult life wearing 3X or sometimes even a 4X shirt, today I am rocking a new 2X shirt!  I am also wearing capris that I bought online from Old Navy last summer, but they didn't fit me last year!  They were snug in the hips and I couldn't zip or button them.  Today I have them on, zipped, buttoned, with room to spare and they are comfortable!  While doing the pre op diet I lost 17 lbs, and since surgery I have lost 14, so I am happy with my 31 lbs that are gone forever!  I'm making Monday my weigh in day, and sticking with that.  The first week home I weighed myself every day and nearly drove myself crazy, so if you can get into the habit of weighing in only once a week you will be ding yourself a favour.  

All in all, I am feeling very well, and going back to work next week.  I took so much time off only because my job is physical and I have to be able to lift things.  There has only been one moment during a head hunger attack that I regretted surgery, but that was only because my head was telling me I wanted a foot long sub from Subway again!!  LOL!!  In all honesty I have no regrets, and am very much looking forward to what the future brings :)

KL_Girl
on 6/1/16 3:05 pm

I am so happy to hear you are doing well!  And very happy you posted this update!  I just have a couple of questions, if you don't mind me asking....how long were you off work?  I had heard about 3 weeks....  Also, did you have the sleeve or the RNY?  I thought you had said  sleeve, but can't remember....LOL!

I too am looking forward to NOT being able to eat certain things due to surgery.  I already have a plan in my head and believe the surgery will help me too in getting to my goal.

I wish you all the best in the next few weeks!  Please keep us posted!  Good luck getting back in the swing of things! Sure hope things go well!

Megall
on 6/2/16 7:10 pm - Canada

I had the sleeve.  I was told that I could go back to work after two weeks, and brought my surgeons note clearing me to return with a lifting restriction of between 10-15lbs.  Because of scheduling conflicts I've ended up being off for four.  I've been on call this week if someone calls in sick (this is my fourth week off) but so far no one has.  I am returning to scheduled shifts starting this Sunday, I'm actually looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.  

My plan is to avoid pasta and breads, anything heavily carb laden for a good long while, if not forever.  I've been pulling a ton of recipes off Pinterest and am looking forward to things like zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, and lettuce wrapped sandwiches or cucumber wraps filled with meat and cheese.  I have a trainer that I'm looking forward to getting back to work with, and am thinking of maybe going to the lap swim at the indoor pool.  Not sure whether I'll get a member**** for that just yet.

Early next week I should be moving to the pureed and soft food phase.  I'll let you all know how that goes :)  

KL_Girl
on 6/3/16 3:34 am

Thanks again for the update!  My sister had the RNY done in November so I have been going by what she has said, but it's not the sleeve.  She was off for 2 weeks, but then she eased back into work on the 3rd week then was full time by the 4th week.  Just nice to know what to expect!

I am glad to hear there are recipes on Pinterest....actually, I am always on it, but never thought to look for recipes on there....If you find any interesting ones, please share!  I also plan on avoiding pasta, breads, rice, potatoes.....but may still eat a bit eventually!  I also really like the idea of lettuce wrapped sandwiches and burgers etc.!  Very excited about that....as for the zucchini noodles and spaghetti squash, my sister got the machine to make the noodles....she likes it....I did try spaghetti squa**** was OK.....she like sauce on it....but I couldn't imagine it taking the place of spaghetti!  LOL!

As for exercise, I have an ultimate goal to join a cross fit gym but will exercise at a normal gym until I am ready for that type of exercise....got to have a plan and goals! I know this will help me with all that....

Good luck once again....yes, please update!!!!  very interested....hope you have a good week!!!  Thanks for sharing....

Cindy F.
on 6/3/16 11:53 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13

I never liked spaghetti squash personally. It looks like pasta but that's where it stops in comparison. I've tried the Nupasta http://www.nupasta.com/ and love them. I've gotten them at Sobey's in the health food section. They have virtually no flavor so they take on the flavor of whatever sauce or seasoning you use. They have zero net carbs (6 carbs with 6 grams of fiber). I feel these are an excellent substitute for pasta and something you might be interested in trying. They come in individual packages and I just use a little bit of it and freeze the rest. Just an FYI!

Referral sent April 2004 / First Consult-Moncton June 2012 / Surgery - February 2013

5'6" / Pre-Op 355 lbs / Current Weight 185 lbs

KL_Girl
on 6/5/16 7:19 am

OMG!!!  I will have to find those and try them!  NuPasta!  THANKS so much for posting!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1051 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1905 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1757 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1755 views