I need help

lindansg
on 3/21/06 3:13 am - NC
I had my surgery Jan 25,2006. When I went back March 2nd for my first follow up visit I had lost 27 pounds. Here it is the 21st and I have only lost 4 more pounds. How can you eat so little and not lose weight? One week I gained 1 pound and this week I gained 2 pounds. I am only getting about 600 calories a day. I exercise and do the treadmil. I am so down. After my insurance paid their part I owe 5000. I keep thinking I paid 5000 and I am gaining weight. Not a good feeling. Please someone help me. I called the Dr.s nurse and she said maybe I was just hitting a plateau early. I really don't see how I am going to lose this weight. It will take 10 years. I make sure I do the protein drink for breakfast. I know I am getting enough protein so what could be the problem?
Crystal McMehan
on 3/21/06 3:32 am - Charlotte, NC
Linda, I had my surgery on December 28 and at 2 months I hit a stall, too. I didn't gain, but I sure didn't lose. I was so disappointed!!! I called the doctor's office and she told me to (1) up my water/fluid to 90-100 oz. per day, (2) up my protein drink from 3 to 4 per day and (3) cut out all carbs possible. I did what she said and started losing within the week. I lived on boiled and/or scrambled eggs from that time till pretty much now (I'm 3 months out now). I was at 47 lbs then, and now I'm at 60.5. I use protein powder from GNC and mix it with water, that way I'm getting all of my fluid AND my protein. Hope this helps!!! Stay upbeat! Crystal
Sandi0521
on 3/21/06 3:46 am - Gastonia, NC
Hey Linda, I'm only 6 weeks post op and I hit a stall too. I too was depressed and worried. But everyone told me to be patient and up my protein and water. I did and the weight started coming off again. Its slower now because they said I was a light weight. I only have 100 lbs to loose. Just up the water and protein and it will come off. I only get in about 700 cal a day and sometimes I struggle with protein. Good Luck, and if you need us, we're here. Sandi
masek77
on 3/21/06 4:52 am - Albemarle, NC
I agree that you probably need to drink more. I sometimes have had the same problem. I would be eating 1800 calories per day and walking a lot yet Im gaining weight. I know for me that is the most aggravating thing in the world to get motivated enough to stick with a diet for several weeks or even a few months and not lose anything or worse still to actually GAIN WEIGHT. Im sure a true expert could tell us a dozen reasons why this happens. I think the truth is our knowledge of metabolism isnt as good as our health industry leads us to believe. By my height weight and age I should be able to eat 2100 calories per day to maintain my weight but if I eat that much Ill gain 5 pounds every month. Ive kept a journal of my eating habits and I average less than 2000 calories per day except for a binge usually once or twice a month. Yet I gain weight.... There has to be something else to it. Stay the course. If you are able to, exercise enough to burn at least what you are eating as see what happens. It HAS to start coming off eventually. Good luck and please keep us updated.
lindansg
on 3/21/06 8:14 am - NC
Thanks everyone for your support. So do you think I should just drink 3 protein drinks a day and up my water intake? Like today I had a protein supplement , 2 boiled eggs , 1 pack of instant oatmeal with fat free no calorie butter and a cup of veg. soup. Is that too much?
(deactivated member)
on 3/21/06 11:25 am
you will be fine!!!!I did about the same thing and now....just over 7 months I have lost 100 pounds!!!!!! everyday will get easier!!!! your body is mad mad mad!! it is shocked!!!! just keep doing the right thing...walk walk walk....and your body will finally understand what it is supposed to do. another thing to remember is that sometimes you will lose weight and your body will shift...but the scales don't show it..and then one day your scale will jump 5 pounds!!!! yeah!!!!!! this is such a good thing!! i'm excited for you!!! susan
lindansg
on 3/22/06 12:40 am - NC
How often do you weigh? At first I was weighing once a week but this week I started weighing everyday. That way if I see a increase in weight I climb back on the treadmil.
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 589 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1626 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1311 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1654 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2683 views