swallowing pills with lap band

edentonmom
on 2/13/09 1:14 pm - NC
For those of you who have the Lap Band, can you tell me what your experiences are with swallowing pills?  i have read somewhere that I will never be able to swallow another pill...........which is a very scary thought........i suffer with migraines, and I also have epilepsy controlled WITH MEDICATION. 
what has your experience been with this?

Dee

Bonray
on 2/13/09 5:05 pm - NC
Hey Dee,
                   I am almost 6 weeks out from my surgery and I can swallow pills with no problem. I wasn't allowed to swallow pills til I was 4 weeks out though. I had to take chewable vitamins and crush or open capsules into apple sauce at first. Just follow your surgeon's advice on when it is ok to take pills again after surgery.

Bonray

5.4cc's in a 14cc band
lost 26 lbs pre-op

grammylew
on 2/13/09 9:37 pm - Jacksonville, NC

Well, I can swollow pills without a problem.  If I have to take a HUGE one, I cut it in half and take it with applesauce.  I am at me sweet spot, BTW.

My DH will have his band on March 5th.  He takes metformin and is a little concerned that may be too big.  That is not time released, so he can cut it or cru**** if he needs to.  We shall see.  Everyone is different.

Grammylew in Jax

Nancy W.
on 2/13/09 11:11 pm - Jacksonville, NC

When I first had my band put in I was also concerned with this and my Dr. told me not to worry about it,although naturally, I did! My advice to you would be is

1.) ie:if you take a large 100mg. pill, see if 2 50mg's are smaller and   
see if the dr. will write a script for that instead.

2.) Take your pills in the evening if possible. Your band is looser and "primed", thus making it easier to swallow.

3.)Take with luke warm water, and wet your throat first
4.) If you can't get a smaller pill, yes, cut it half or quarters, as long as you're getting the proper dosage, that's what counts!

Best of luck to you!

Nancy

Barbara C.
on 2/13/09 9:40 pm - Raleigh, NC

Hi Dee,

While I have not had the LapBand, I work with a number of people who have and they are able to take medication and vitamins in pill form. Please consult with your physician for guidelines re: how to handle medication in a pill form immediately after surgery and fills. You might be able to even more feedback if you cross-post this to the LapBand and Main forums.

Wishing you all the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

TamaraL
on 2/13/09 10:52 pm
I think the story that you will not be able to swallow another pill is a myth. When I was doing my research on the lap band I found many of these. I took all of my questions and asked the dr and most of the questions I had were myths and not the truth.

I did ask my doctor about this and he said as long as you can tolerate you can do. I am sure if the pill is too big then I would cut it in half. So far I am not able to do.

One thing though, just like the RNY surgery most doctors do not allow ibuprophen products because they can cause ulcers. So just be aware of that. No NSAIDS.

You can take tylenol or products with tylenol.

Tamara

VeraWalker
on 2/14/09 7:21 am - Whiteville, NC
Ok, I think the largest pill I take is my calcium citrate and I cut them in half.  Other than that it is business as usual!  As far as the NSAIDs you are right I cannot take them since surgery, but I have arthritis so I buy Aspercreme.  It is supposed to have asprin in it that it absorbed through your skin.  Don't know but it seems to help so I'll leave it at that.
Vera  LapBand 8/12/2008

edentonmom
on 2/14/09 8:25 am - NC
thanks to all of you for your responses!

Dee

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 573 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1606 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1299 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1634 views
NC Forum