They opened me up, took a look, and closed me

sylvan
on 5/11/11 5:46 am
I had surgery scheduled for late Monday.  They actually called me in early, around 2:30.  I talked with the doctor and they put me to sleep.  The next thing I know, they're telling me that they couldn't perform the surgery.  They got in there and my liver was too big.  They said they could have done an open surgery but with all my previous surgeries they weren't sure whether or not I was filled with scar tissue.  They said the best thing to do would be to close me up, do the liver diet for a month, and then try surgery again.  We're going to try again on the 27th of June. 
avidreader
on 5/11/11 9:12 am - Cary, NC
I know you are disappointed, but trust Dr. Enochs - he is a wonderful surgeon and will do what is best for you.  Life moves very quickly these days for me so you will be back in surgery before you know it!!!!  Life is good!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Kermit P.
on 5/11/11 11:11 am
This must have been so disappointing!  I wish you the best of luck with your pre-surgery diet and hopefully the next month will go by fast!

Good luck!
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
maggiet
on 5/20/11 1:03 am - Durham, NC
Hey Sylvan, it has been a week now since you got rescheduled for your surgery. How are you holding up? I've been thinking about you and sending you good vibes but just wanted to check in.
Maggiet

sylvan
on 5/20/11 7:20 am
I'm hanging in there.  Thanks for checking.  I went to the office yesterday.  I've lost 4 lbs since they weighted me on 5/9.  Not outstanding but I'll take what I can get.  I met with the PA.  He and I had a very long talk and I feel a lot better about most things, a little worse about others.  From what he said, it sounds like they want me to lose 26 more lbs before they operate again.  I don't believe that is possible by 6/27.  At least not in any healthy way.  They want me to lose about 2 lbs/week so that we're sure it isn't muscle that I'm losing.  That'll take 13 weeks.  So if I were a betting person, I'd bet on the surgery not happening on 6/27 either.

My liver biopsy was fine.  That was a relief.  Everything else looks fine and I'm healing well.  I guess I'll just take it a day at a time and see where things stand on 6/20.  That should be plenty of time to cancel the surgery if I need to.  I guess I'm feeling like it will happen when it happens.  I told him I didn't want to wait 6 months but waiting a few more so that the surgery can be completed this time will be well worth the wait.   

Thanks for thinking of me and sending the good vibes.  They are very appreciated.

Sylvan
maggiet
on 5/23/11 12:22 am - Durham, NC
It sounds like you have a good philosophic view - it will happen when it happens. That is so much better than railing against fate. Good for your body and your mental health. How are you going about trying to lose the 30 pounds? I started a pre-op 6 week diet and with all the intake of water and protein and 6 small meals or snacks a day it has been the first time in decades I've lost weight. It felt like I was 'trying out' for the loser's bench . But we all have our ways and I wish you well on whatever you are doing. .

I'm soooo glad your liver biopsy was fine. And that you are healing. I was wondering about that. Imust say I really admire the way you are handling this. And I continue to send you good vibes and well wishes.

Admiringly yours,
MaggieT

sylvan
on 5/23/11 10:49 am
I'm drinking two meal replacement protein shakes per day and having a small low carb, high protein meal.  This is what they've told me to do to reduce my liver size as well as lose weight. 

I've decided to have my meal at lunch.  I think it's healthier to eat during the day especially since my night time schedule is so different from night to night.  Eating late at night isn't good for me, I know this from past experience.  I guess we'll see how it goes.  

Thanks for the well wishes. Same to you.   :)

Sylvan

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 12:36 am, edited 5/23/11 12:36 am
great news about your liver. My question is, did they originally suggest to do the liver shrinkage diet BEFORE your original surgery date? or was this an after thought once they opened you up? Some surgeons do not require it and even if my new surgeon doesn't I am still going to do it jsut to be safe. I have jumped through some hoops over the past few months then the surgeon i originally was supposed to have decided she was leaving post and the 80 that were left that she couldn't get it before she left were all filtered out to new clinics.
sylvan
on 5/23/11 10:40 am
They did put me on the liver shrinking diet but only for 6 days.  I think part of the reason it got all messed up was because of scheduling.  When I met with the scheduler, I told her I either had to have the surgery within the next few weeks or I'd need to wait until late June or early August.  She was accommodating and scheduled as soon as possible, which was 6 days later.  That just didn't give me much time to prepare.  I did the best that I could but there is only so much you can do in 6 days. 

I wish you the best in finding a new surgeon.
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 1:17 pm
I already have a new surgeon, just havent had the chance to meet him yet.
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 590 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1628 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1313 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1656 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2687 views