Presurgery diet - haven't lost an ounce

sylvan
on 8/1/11 5:26 am
This is the same thing that happened last time.  I just got back from the hospital for pre-op work.  They weighed me.  After a week of four shakes a day, SF jello, low sodium vegetable broth, and flavored water, I haven't lost an ounce.  Not one stinking ounce!  I have NOT cheated.  What gives?  

The last time I did the presurgery diet, the exact same thing happened.  I did cheat the last time and ate a couple of pieces of string cheese during that week.  Maybe three or four the entire week.  That was all that I did that was extra. 

Anyone have any ideas?  If my liver doesn't shrink this time, I don't know what I'm going to do.  I can't keep almost having this surgery.
gthor78291
on 8/1/11 5:59 am
are you walking or exercising? You have to burn those calories. Good Luck to ya.

sylvan
on 8/1/11 6:04 am
I'm walking.  Maybe I need to increase.
goldstondebbi
on 8/2/11 1:31 am - Goldston, NC
I would call your surgeon's office and speak to his dietitian.  I could suggest increasing your water-walking-cutting out the vegetable broth because of the sodium, but calling them would be the best thing to do. You know, if we could diet and lose the weight we would'nt  need the surgery!  Aurora Pryor, my surgeon, said I had the biggest liver she had ever seen! lol
sylvan
on 8/5/11 11:23 am
I have an update.  I went to the surgeon's office this morning at 8:30 for a weight check.  I was down 5 pounds!  Yay for me!  I guess either the scale at the hospital was off or I held on to that weight until the last possible minute. 

So, surgery is on for Monday!  I'm excited and scared, both at the same time. 

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and suggestions when I was so worried. 
Proudtobaloser
on 8/5/11 12:24 pm - Fayetteville, NC
congratz. Will be lighting the candle for you. Hope all goes well. you have to let us know how you are doing........

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

sylvan
on 8/5/11 1:15 pm
Thanks. 

I'll post as soon as I'm feeling up to it.  Hopefully by the end of the week.  I'll probably be at the hospital until Wednesday.
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 587 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1624 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1308 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1652 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2682 views