Home again, take two

sylvan
on 8/16/11 1:16 pm
Surgery was on 8/8.  Everything went fine.  I went home from the hospital on Wednesday.  Things were going okay.  Not great but okay.  Then I got to the point where I couldn't keep anything down.  Nothing.  I'd drink and back it would come. 

By Friday night I was back at the hospital.  They kept me until last night.  I'm able to keep fluids down now but the protein is a huge problem.  I'm on full liquids and the only thing I can seem to stand that has protein is skim milk.  I guess that counts as a fluid and a protein.  At least I hope it does.  

Well, enough complaining from me.  If you asked me today if I'd do it again, the answer would be no.  I hope that changes in the next couple of weeks.   
maggiet
on 8/17/11 2:09 am - Durham, NC
Well congratulations on having the surgery even if you don't think you'd do it again right now. I hope it gets better. Are you doing any of the protein shakes, the pre-made ones? Or are those the ones not working? I'm so sorry you are going through such a rough time. I do hope it gets better. These first few weeks/months are hard enough without complications.

I think that a week or two out from here you'll be feeling better. Not that you won't have other setbacks - and that first stall is not a winner. But it does get better. I'm at 2.5 months out now and am eating better and feeling much better. I hope you will too! Hang in there. I'm rooting for you!

sylvan
on 8/17/11 2:20 am
Thanks for the good wishes.  I'm just so very tired of this whole thing.  It hasn't gone well from the beginning. 

I have some Isopure grape drink that isn't too bad.  Which other protein shakes are you talking about?  I've got some powders but haven't tried them yet.  I know I can't have the meal replacement shakes yet, in two more weeks I can.  

Luckily, I have another couple of weeks off from work.  If I had to go back soon, I don't know what I'd do.

maggiet
on 8/17/11 2:30 am - Durham, NC
As soon as I got out of the hospital I started prepackaged protein shakes. My favorite turned out to be Myoplex Light chocolate but I tried all the other brands available at Target. And my tastes changed. One day I wanted that Strawberry Boost and the next day I thought it was the most disgusting thing in the world.

So at the top of the hour I'd have the two ounces of the protein shake. I kept a luch bag with ice in it to keep the stuff cold. Then at a quarter after, half past, and a quarter till I'd start the 2 ounces of water. Of course I couldn't drink all two ounces at once. it  was sip, sip, sip. And sometimes I couldn't get it all in. I mean you can't drink while you are asleep, right? 

When you say you aren't allowed the 'meal replacement shakes' are you telling me they told you you couldn't do the prepared, ready to use shakes until later? Becuase that isn't what they told me. I gotta say it didn't seem to harm me to use those pre-made shakes. However, you should double check with the clinic. Let me know if I'm wrong and go by what they say, not me.I just didn't have the energy to mess with the powder stuff right away.

Do give yourself a break if you aren't getting everyhting in in this first week. It is HARD and not all of us are able to do it.

Take care,
maggie

sylvan
on 8/17/11 7:53 am
I went back and read the booklet I have and it looks like I can do Ensure Plus and Boost Plus.  My husband has gone to the store to get me some.

About the sip, sip, sip thing... I seem to be able to drink things right down.  Is this a problem?  Am I doing something wrong?  When I get thirsty, I get a glass of water.  Before I know it, half the glass is gone and I'm feeling fine. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  This has been a bad week for me.  I just got back from having a diagnostic mammogram.  It doesn't look so good.  I've got to go back in for a biopsy.  The doctor really didn't have much encouraging to say other than that it is small.  If I can't stop doing the blood thinners for 24 hrs then I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks for the biopsy.  Honestly, this has been a rough week. 
maggiet
on 8/17/11 10:16 am - Durham, NC
Shee**** has been a bad week for you! I'll keep you in my thoughts.

About being able to drink... I'm amazed but that is great that you can drink. With so much else going on it is a plus. Glad you can try to Boost and Ensure. Let me know how it goes.
Maggie

tbl2008
on 8/17/11 3:04 am - Greenville, NC
Hope you start feeling better soon!
285/204/199 starting/current/goal weight
sylvan
on 8/17/11 7:54 am
Thanks so much!
Barbara C.
on 8/17/11 10:42 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Sylvan,

The skim milk does count, so kudos for getting that in. Most programs know that it takes many people a while to work up to the protein counts that are suggested and the biggest concern is normally making sure that you are adequately hydrated, followed by the protein and finally the supplements. The way that my program suggested I do it to be sure I got in all my protein was they had me get 4 2 ounce little medicine cups. I filled one with 2 ounces of protein and the other three with fluids which for me were often Crystal Lite. I took the protein, which for you might be skim milk at the top of the hour and the others every 15 minutes. If you needed more protein, maybe you could do 2 protein and then 2 fluid, alternating them. I was to do this every hour that I was awake, as well as get up and walk around once a hour that you are awake to help move the gas that was used to fill your abdomen for surgery as well as help protect you from developing a clot/DVT by moving your legs and thereby pumping the blood from your legs up through your body.

While some people hit the ground running and seem to barely feel like they had surgery, it's not uncommon to feel like you were run over by a truck. Remember, you really did just have major abdominal surgery, so try to be gentle with yourself.

If you look at my personal blog, you'll see that when I was about 10 days out, I also wondered what in Sam Hill I had done. Now, knowing what I know, I do it again, and again, and again...

Hang in there!

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 587 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1625 views
12 years!