So...how bad is it?

April A.
on 10/10/11 1:36 am - SC
Ok, so my RNY surgery is tomorrow and I am sooooooo excited...dont' get me wrong, but I'm sooooo nervous as well. How bad is the first week?
kellyl1202
on 10/10/11 2:17 am
I just had RNY on 9/12 and for me it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be! Good luck & hope all goes well for you!

Barbara C.
on 10/10/11 2:24 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi April,

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming surgery!! Next, it all depends from one person to another, but in my personal experience it was really quite manageable and to be honest, that seems to be the general consensus from most people that I know that have had the surgery, and with running a large support group I actually know quite a few. The pain is normally managed well in the hospital and then, often your surgeon will send you home with some oral pain medications to manage the pain. Many people don't use much of the pain medication that is sent home.  

When you get home, your job will be to rest, drink plenty of clear fluids to stay hydrated and work on getting in the prescribed protein and any supplements that have prescribed for you. You'll also need to get up and walk every hour that you are awake to help move the gas that they used to inflate your abdomen for surgery as well as help to ward of the development of and blood clots. Of course, this doesn't mean to run a marathon, but to just get up and get those legs pumping some blood up and around your body. 

If you haven't done so already, be sure to take pictures of yourself in front of a door. You'll want to get a front, profile and rear view. Be sure to wear something you like and smile because you'll be looking at these pictures later to help you 'see' the progress that you are making on journey to a smaller, healthier you. Also, you should take your measurements because there are times that the scale isn't budging, but the tape measure will show progress. I suggest that you take neck, chest under the armpits, chest across the breasts, chest at your rib cage where your bra band hits, waist, hips, both upper arms, both elbows, both forearms, both wrists, both upper thighs, both knees, both calfs and both ankles. You'll be surprised where and how you weight loss distributes. I suggest that you take the photos and measurements on the anniversary day of your surgery each month. You'll be amazed at your transformation.

Wishing you every success in your journey, 

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 598 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1631 views
12 years!