Hi, need some help please!

NicoleTy
on 3/8/10 12:35 pm - Lincoln, NE
Hi, I'm new to this and have just started researching WLS.  My insurance is through Blue Cross and they say WLS surgery isnt covered on my plan.  Any ideas on how I can go around this or options on what else to look at?  Thanks in advance!
monymony
on 3/8/10 10:23 pm
Hi Nicole, unfortunately if there is an exclusion in the policy, there isn't much you can do. Make sure it is the surgery that is excluded not  just treatment for obesity. Get a copy of the policy and read it carefully. You might find a loophole. Good luck. Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

Karen R.
on 3/11/10 2:59 am - Gering, NE
I have blue cross of Texas and they covered mine so read the fine print!

On the road again....so glad to be on the road again.... 

mypappyblue
on 3/13/10 8:47 am
Hi Nicole;
It may be that Blue Cross covers it but your employer has excluded it from your group plan as a means of reducing their premiums. If you have a Human Resources Dept. where you work; you might talk to them and see if this is the case and whether they could waive the exclusion. I had the same problem; unfortunately I became disabled and lost my job because of my weight. But then I got Medicare and was eventually able to get both a Panniculectomy and a DS done. Good luck and don't give up your health is your most important asset.
Mike
Terese_
on 6/5/10 7:43 am - Omaha, NE
Dear Nicole,

Have you had any luck yet?  Have you considered changing jobs or finding a part-time gig w/ benefits?  Not easy in this economy, but find out from others what employers do have coverage.  Nebraska Medical Center employees have coverage on the ppo plan, but not the hmo plan offered.  Of course there will be delays in coverage, etc when changing or adding a second plan,

Good luck!
papanpez
on 6/8/10 8:54 am - Grand Island , NE
I don't have BCBS but my insurance excluded all treatment for obesity then there was like an astreic (sp?) and it said to see exceptions or something to that effect. Well when I looked there it said that it only covers morbid obesity. I think with a BMI of over 40 mine was 53 and after I went to all of their required evaluations I was approved in only 21 days!!!

Good Luck to you!!!

Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Newbie Question
elowe · 0 replies · 4719 views
Insurance
Tashac · 1 replies · 5883 views
Party Time!
monymony · 0 replies · 6218 views
NE health care exchanges
dhomaha · 0 replies · 6285 views