Update - One Year Post-Op

Debbie C.
on 5/27/12 2:19 pm - Manchester, NH
 Oh my Goodness!  Has a year gone by already?  I can hardly believe it!

After going through the process, it took about six months from starting the program with CMC to my surgery date date with Dr. Campbell on May 3, 2012.  I had the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and have absolutely NO regrets!  I only wish I had done it sooner, but "when the pupil is ready, the teacher appears".

I am only 11 pounds away from being in the "normal BMI" weight range.  It's unbelievable!  My new life is so foreign in some aspects yet is my new normal in others.  It's still hard to believe that I'm in a size 6/8 from a size 24/26 or 3X.  I still walk over to the Plus Size section of any clothing store, that habit was formed for 25 years, it's going to take some getting used to having the entire rest of the store to choose clothes from.  I haven't ventured into trying on and buying a new bathing suit this year, but that should prove VERY interesting.  I went to go swimming this weekend and realized that last year's suit was a 18!!!  Unreal progress!

I feel incredible.  I have SO much energy.  I use food as a way to fuel the machine and not as a way to comfort or reward myself.  I can still have a treat here and there, but I just don't want them as much.  I crave fresh veggies and fruits.  I wan****er over anything else.  I don't really care about alcohol or candy or sugary foods and although I do occasionally indulge in fried food, it doesn't feel so great after and just isn't worth it.  I can't tell you the last time I went through a drive-thru for something for me other than a beverage.  Coffee is probably my only vice.

It still amazes me when I fit so easily into seats, whether it's at the theater, airplanes, cars, amusement rides, whatever.  Things are so comfy and roomy now!  I don't have anywhere that I go where I'm ashamed or embarrassed or worried that I won't fit or belong.  I walk with confidence and a smile on my face.  I get winked at, flirted with and complimented.  I have JOY!

There are so many positive things that I didn't know would come as a result.  My increased stamina and energy has resulted in a cleaner house, better finances (less food consumption and eating out) and organization.  A clear mind and focus and I feel unstoppable.

What is amazing is that I've started my own business.  Ironically, I opened a bakery.  The funniest comments I get are: "How can you bake such delicious things and stay so small" or "oh my, you're such a tiny thing, don't you eat what you make?".  If they only knew my secret!!!

I love to move and exercise now.  I run places, even when I don't have to.  I dance, I sing, I go to the gym without groaning or feeling like it's a punishment.  I WANT to go.  I get angry if I can't go.

The last thing for me to work on is the issue of extra skin.  Yes, I have considerable "bat wings".  I didn't notice until suddenly the weather got nicer and I'm in short sleeves.  As I'm mixing something, I can see the flapping out of the corner of my eyes.  It's annoying, but I'd rather have "bingo wings" than those extra pounds any day.  I also have extra tummy skin and a little on my upper thighs, but those are easily hidden.  

Breasts?  Yeah, they're a disaster.  They are constantly killing me.  I used to have really big ones and they've lost volume and between that and age, it's not pretty.  I wouldn't bother with surgery and would just continue to wear double sports bras, but because they always hurt, I am actively seeking help in that area.  I'm looking for a great plastic surgeon and any advice is welcomed.

It wasn't easy and the fear and insecurity was intense, but it was so worth it.  I love my new life.  I love that the positive changes have made other positive changes.  I love being happy and a good role model for my daughter.  Success feels amazing.

There are hurdles, obstacles and challenges.  There are setbacks and disappointments, but it's a marathon, not a race.  And before you know it, it's been a year since your surgery and you go out to lunch with your friends and suddenly you realize that for the first time in your life, YOU are the thinnest person at the table.

Life is sweet!

Sookie77
on 5/28/12 8:59 pm - Milton, NH
 Happy Dance time, Keep up the great work !!!!  Life is great and we can now enjoy it to the fullest.  As for the extra skin, I know it bugs me at times, but I can do so much more now the skin is like a battle scar.  Hugs

You may be only one person in the world, but to someone you are the world

Most Active
Recent Topics
Canobie Lake Park
senyoshida · 0 replies · 462 views
Plastic surgeon ?
jmere · 0 replies · 797 views
Dartmouth.. dr truss
Debberz · 1 replies · 1558 views
CMC lifestyle chances class
morgansmom12 · 0 replies · 5024 views