New to Newfoundland and looking to start the process...

gentlyonward
on 9/16/12 9:00 am - St. John's, Canada
RNY on 08/17/13 with
Hello! I am new to Newfoundland (my boyfriend and I moved here at the end of July from BC) and I'm looking to start the process for WLS but I'm not sure where to begin... Here's a little background on me...

I'm a 33 year old female, 5'9 and currently sitting around 340 pounds. I've been an athlete, and obese my whole life. I have had a total three knee surgeries so far (Right knee: meniscus and MCL repair in 1998, Left knee: ACL/MCL/meniscus tear repair in 2007, MCL/meniscus tear repair and ACL replacement in 2010). The surgeries were a result of sports injuries, along with carrying the amount of weight that I do. I've now blown my left knee for the third time and am looking at ANOTHER ACL replacement... I followed the Dr's instructions exactly, and waited the full year before starting to exercise in earnest, but because of my weight ended up tearing my ACL and meniscus again. I also have diabetes and PCOS.

My question is this (I don't know if you guys can help me, but any information would be appreciated)...

-I need to find a family doctor in St. John's... Does anyone know of a Dr. that has experice with WLS referrals? I would think that with my history, getting a refferal shouldn't be TOO too difficult, all my conditions are well documented.
-How do you broach the subject with your doctor?

Thanks in advance!

Mary C.
on 9/18/12 8:33 am - Glovertown, Canada
The name od the surgeon in St. John's who performs Bariatric Surgery is Dr. David Pace. 
He works out of the Health Sciences Centre. Hope this is of some help. There is a facebook group for pre and post op bariatric surgery patients in Newfoundland. People rarely post here in this forum - due to privacy issues I guess. I am not a member of that facebook group. But if you do a search on Facebook for the name Jenn Deon -and send her a message - I'm sure she can point you in the right direction to find the facebook group  - as well as help you out with other info. Jenn was the 1st patient to have bariatric surgery here in NL by Dr. Pace. Good luck! 

brookienewfie
on 12/3/12 11:29 pm

I attended the meeting on Oct 12th at the HSC and they told us that there is now a five year waiting list for this surgery.

TDR
on 12/19/12 8:26 pm

The first step to having a this surgery is getting your referral in.  The process is very new here and not a lot of Dr. have experience with the referal process. but to my understanding it is fairly easy.  Your first step is finding you GP and asking them to complete the forms for you.   

Also join our facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/bariatricsurgerysupportNL/   we can help.  Add me as a friend in here and I will give you my email so we can't chat too!  Support is wonderful and needed!

GOOD LUCK and welcome to Newfoundland

Trina

HW: 325  SW: 293.4  CW:235.0 Surgery Date Sept 10, 2012   Preop: - 31.6  M1:-22  M2: -16.6   M3: -13.6 First weight goal ACHIEVED!  On to my second goal - CENTURY CLUB!!!!   

Most Active