I know there are Blue noses out there

paramedic
on 6/10/06 7:26 am - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi to all, I know you are out there, because I write to you on the othe sites. It would be nice if we started to make good use of our own space. I just found out the other day that Nova Scotia has scrapped their wls program for good. This is a crime against obesity. These narrow minded people in Halifax just don't see the whole picture. If they took the time to make obese people healthy just think of all of the money they would save. There are people out there that need wls to become functional again. Well I could go on for days with this. We do need to stick together and show new people out there that there is hope. Laurie
bandbaby
on 6/10/06 1:37 pm - Pictou, Canada
Hi Laurie, I am still lurking. I have been watching for you. I keep checking your profile for updates. I am soo jealous. Things are coming together for me now. I am debating between Ontario or Massachusettes for surgery. New England Medical Center will do a selfpay for approx. 8,000 plus pre-op testing. Well I can get the testing done here and the dollar is so close to par it would be way cheaper than Ontario. Also my youngest sister lives there, she is a huge support for me during this. My other sister in Ontario will take a week off and be there also with me. I am hoping to pull it all together with a surgery date sometime in October. You are doing awesome. How are you doing with the "head" hunger. I am a little worried about that. I am trying to wean off of diet coke right now. Other than pure volume and low protein that is my biggest bad habit. If you ever end up on a transfer or anything our way, ask for me in the ER. Beverly Aberdeen Hospital in New Glasgow. Talk to you soon. Yeah, I wish this site was more active too. Hadn't heard about the obesity program getting scrapped. I guess they like to take care of obesity related diseases and complications in our already overfilled acute care beds!!!!! Oh well, I ramble. Bye for now
Lydia_K
on 6/14/06 4:05 am - Fort McMurray, Canada
Hello Laurie, I am from Stellarton NS, but I now live in Fort McMurray, Alberta. I had my surgery on Jan. 30/06. I am now down 83lbs. I have about another 75lbs to go, but I feel great. Everything went great with my Surgary. I had my Surgary done in Medicine Hat about a 10hr drive from Fort McMurray. Dr. Nohr was wonderful he is a very soft spoken man with gentle hands. I was on a waiting list for almost 3 years and I thought my date would never come. 21/2 of this was just waiting for my consoltation and then the surgary was going to be about another year but there was a cancellation and I was able to get that date. I think it is wrong for them not to look for another Dr. in Nova Scotia. I know of people that were on the list and now don't know what they are going to do. I gave them this web site and told them to go looking and speak to there Dr's, they can help. I have to go for now but I will post again. If you want have a look at the Alberta site quite a few people listed there. Have a great day, (All you Bluenoser's) Lydia
csauer
on 6/18/06 10:32 pm - Middle Sackville, Canada
Hi, Laurie, you are right, we have to stick together! It is a shame that they have scrapped the wls program altogether. That is discrimination of fat people, since they refuse us the only method to lose weight that works! We just wrote a letter to MSI about my husband's surgery. We are either going to Montreal (lap-band) or India (gastric bypass). I am curious to see what they will say, how much, if any, they will pay. I lost 45 pounds in 3 months so far which is good, since I exercise not much ( bad back). Still about 80 lbs to go. Good luck to you! Christine
itsmemel
on 8/10/06 10:19 pm - Lindsay, Canada
HI Laurie : That is so sad that they are scrapping WLS in Nova Scotia . Im actually not from NS , but my family all is ( Sydney Mines ) . I live in Ontario and Ive never been so proud to say that before as I am now , Ive been approved for out of country OHIP just a few weeks ago , to have my surgery at the Barix clinic in Michigan on Sept 13th. , it took me only a week to be approved after applying to them . And the cost to me is nothing , they will pay the $40,500 for my surgery ! How sad that your goverment will not allow for WLS , hope you can all get on a bandwagon to advocate for this well needed surgery . As for getting the surgery done in ONT , just so youll know the waiting list is an extreamly long one approx 3 - 7 years . Believe me Ive checked all my options before deciding to go to the US for surgery .... Have a great day .. Melinda
Most Active